🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fixed price project dispute
Page options
98780a32
Community Member

Fixed price project dispute

Hi Team,

Please help me..

Not received payment from client. In turn I was asked to make payment of 100$ first. I was asked to download Binance in my device and  **Edited for Community Guidelines** has shared his User name and password to make the Payment of 100$... To be honest, I have got this Project via Upwork, hence I requested payment via Upwork. He was not ready to make the payment after the Project completion. this was not expected at all. Completely disappointed that my efforts has gone waste..

I was given a project which is fixed price of 2500$. client**Edited for Community Guidelines** has provided me three PDF files and asked me to retype in a word document, then convert it into one single PDF copy. Each PDF file had 30 Pages and I was given deadline of 4 days. I have completed task within 4 days of time and submitted the project to**Edited for Community Guidelines** I received email from client, that I have to pay 100$ first and then they will make a payment to my bank account. I have asked them to make the payment via upwork. it was denied. I need help in getting paid for my effort which I have put in to complete this project. Attached are the emails which I have received for your reference.

Please help me..

Regards,

Shiva Ambika Pillay.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

11 REPLIES 11
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Any client who insists you have to pay him/her directly (outside Upwork) is a fraudulent client (or an idiot).

Any payment between any client and any freelancer MUST happen via Upwork. Doing otherwise is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service and, perhaps worse, means the person insisting such payment be made is a fraudster. (And using Telegram or another non-Upwork communication app before an Upwork contract in place is also a violation of the Terms of Service.)

Report any such client to Upwork. Don't even THINK about working for such clowns.

98780a32
Community Member

Thank you Will L replying immediately. I am new to the Upwork portal, now, I understand that I should be very much careful while searching for Jobs/projects in Upwork. Now, can I think that my efforts of completed project has gone to waste? Would you mind confirming the same (or) would you mind letting me know the ways of getting paid for the completed project?

ebb9f1d9
Community Member

You should ask him to build a contract first on upwork then you will work them. Never do any work before the client offers contract either  fixed or hourly. It is against terms and condition of upwork to work for free without asking for contract. 

98780a32
Community Member

Before starting the work, I asked client if they have any agreement to enter into. He didn't confirm the same.. 😞 

There are related attachments which was attached to this post..

ebb9f1d9
Community Member

Then you should not go for any work, If client is not ready to make a contract on upwork; then don't work such clients 

yofazza
Community Member

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Carolina Marcela M.,

There is never a situation in which a freelancer should ever pay any client before a project / contract has been agreed on the Upwork platform. Nor should a freelancer submit any refund or payment to a client other than through Upwork's system at any time. Never!

And your first conversations, before a contract has been agreed by both freelancer and client on Upwork's system, should not take place on any platform other than the project's message board on Upwork.

This is a scam and you will not be paid by either the client or Upwork. It does not matter whether the client's payment method has been verified by Upwork. That can have no meaning at all, as it can be fraudulent.

Forgive my poor Spanish (using Google Translate):

Nunca hay una situación en la que un trabajador autónomo deba pagar a un cliente antes de que se haya acordado un proyecto/contrato en la plataforma Upwork. Un freelancer tampoco debe enviar ningún reembolso o pago a un cliente que no sea a través del sistema de Upwork en ningún momento. ¡Nunca!

Y sus primeras conversaciones, antes de que tanto el freelancer como el cliente hayan acordado un contrato en el sistema de Upwork, no deben tener lugar en ninguna otra plataforma que no sea el tablero de mensajes del proyecto en Upwork.

Esto es una estafa y ni el cliente ni Upwork te pagarán. No importa si el método de pago del cliente ha sido verificado por Upwork. Eso puede no tener ningún significado en absoluto, ya que puede ser fraudulento.

bobafett999
Community Member

You were cheated.   At your rate why would someone promise to pay you $2,500 for retyping?

On Upwork the rule is you have to have a contract and freelancers don't pay.

Gracias

98780a32
Community Member

It was my first Project, I was not aware of the procedure/process how upwork works... still learning... 

Now, I understand that I need to be more careful with these kind of clients in this forum..

No problem, people make mistakes, and sometimes it is difficult to spot a scam for newbies I am just glad you did not pay the $100 in the hope of getting $2500/-

See, the thing is this would not work even if there was an active contract in place. In most cases the typing jobs are scams and fake, there may be a few genuine jobs, but again genuine jobs will not offer such high pay. 

Always remember, if the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is not true. 

The bottom line is you will not get that payment. Forget about it! 

If you do make any payment, they will come back to you again requesting more and more until you finally realize you've been scammed and duped! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths