cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fixed price work - watermark

Sandra M Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
1 of 5

Since oDesk does not guarantee payment for fixed price jobs, is anyone using a watermark for video or audio projects until payment is made?  I've done that with other clients and it's worked well.

Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
2 of 5

My preferred approach for my audio stuff (even outside of oDesk) is to send a non-downloadable private soundcloud link.

This works okay for most types of review, though soundcloud stream quality, while not bad, is not adequate for super high fidelity assessment.

In that case, then putting in a periodic beep as a watermark to a file works ok.

I should stress though, that I seldom worry about this stuff. Ultimately, there's not a lot you can do about a client who is hell-bent on ripping you off, other than to get good at spotting them in advance and avoiding them.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 5

Hi Sandra,

We do offer payment protection on Fixed Price jobs. Check out our Help documentation on using Escrow and Milestones to manage payments for these jobs. In addition to the best practices around watermark, etc. that you'll get from others here on the thread, we strongly recommend working with your client to manage payments with milestones and Escrow so you can get paid along the way. 

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
4 of 5

I read the Escrow agreement terms, and unless you're making mucho denero, it costs a fortune!

Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
5 of 5

How does it cost especially? As far as I can work out, it's just the usual 10% to oDesk.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS