cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed priced jobs advertised as hourly?!?

Highlighted
Belinda M Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
1 of 3

I am new to odesk and new back in the secular workforce.  I previously transcribed correspondence for vice presidents, managers, and medical doctors at an HMO - it wasn't medical transcription, although some medical terms were used and I was required to know more than 1000 terms.  I can type 72 wpm, as tested last week online.  I have a question about the posts on odesk for transcription work.

I noticed that there are many posts advertising that they pay hourly; however, in the body of the post, it will say that they only pay a set amount for the project to be done OR they only pay a set amount for an hour of audio (not an hour of work).  How does this jibe with odesk's promise that an hour worked is an hour paid?  For example, one posts states that they have an hour of audio and ask that the applicant bid $10 for the job.  Yet it is listed as an hourly job.  Is this permitted?  It's not the only instance. My advanced search of terms:  "transcription," "english-grammar," "english-proofreading" and "typing" yielded an entire page of jobs posted in this fashion.  Why are these jobs not listed as fixed price?  I'm confused.

Respectfully,
Belinda McCarter
Virtual Assistant

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 3

Hi Belinda,

I would suggest you flag such posts as posted in the wrong category. It may be that the client is confused about the difference between hourly and fixed-price contracts or posted it as hourly intentionally. In any case, if you flag it the oDesk team will reach out to the client and ask them to edit the posting.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
3 of 3

Valeria,

I saw a job with $1200 budget but the actual post said they were paying $5, so they set a high budget to lure freelancers to it (weird strategy if you ask me!).

I flagged it as "wrong category", I hope that was correct, I just didn't know exactly how to flag it.

The flagfing fields are very limited. It has been discussed in other posts.

Thanks. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS