🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fixed project
Page options
cd10ca1d
Community Member

Fixed project

Hi
I completed a project and submitted my work two times but did not get any response from the client. The project is done and client must have received the work she bid for but the client still did not respond. I ended the contract as no choice as the client was unresponsive.
14 days are gone I'm still waiting for the payment. Please help me.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Nida Siddiq S wrote:
Its been 14 days, after submitting 2nd time.

Yes, but in the meantime you closed the contract, which resulted in you sending the escrow money back to the client.

Nida Siddiq S wrote:
I don't know what is the dolution. Work done and submitted properly but payment not released.

There is no solution.

The client could not approve the milestone now even if they wanted to, there is no milestone anymore, you closed the contract and sent the money back.

The only way to fix it would now be a bonus, but that seems unlikely.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Nida Siddiq s.,

The standard way to get paid for fixed price milestones is to submit them to the client using the green "Submit" button on the project page. If you submit the work to the client in any other way, Upwork has no way of knowing the client has received your work.

If you did this and the relevant milestone has been funded by the client, the escrowed payment will automatically be released by Upwork to you unless the client intervenes to ask for changes to your submitted work.

If you did not use the "Submit" button and you closed the contract, the client may or may not ever pay your for your work. Upwork has no way to help you get payment, if this is the case.

Dear Will,
I submit my work through proper channel in the submission area then ended the contract.

Closing the contract before payment is released to you may mean that all money in escrow is returned to the client, regardless whether you have properly submitted the work for the milestone to the client before cancelling the contract. If by closing the contract you prevented the client from asking for changes to your work before releasing escrow, that wouldn't be fair to the client.

Only someone with much more experience than I have with fixed price projects can tell you for sure.

Will L wrote:

Closing the contract before payment is released to you may mean that all money in escrow is returned to the client, regardless whether you have properly submitted the work for the milestone to the client before cancelling the contract.

That is exactly what it does, and you even have to confirm that you understand that this is what is going to happen.

I submit it properly.
wescowley
Community Member

There was no need to end the contract that soon, and in doing so, you probably released any money still in escrow back to the client.

Did you submit the work through the Submit Work button on the contract? That starts the 14-day clock that will release the escrow to you if the client does nothing. 

You said you submitted it twice. If you clicked the Resubmit Work button, it restarts the 14-day clock. So, don't do that.

The way to handle this in the future with fixed-price contracts is to use the Submit Work button once, and then wait. Even if the client doesn't come back to you, it's ok. Upwork will automatically release the escrow to you after 14 days. Do not close the contract until the money has been released to you.

I don't know what is the dolution. Work done and submitted properly but payment not released.
petra_r
Community Member

Nida Siddiq S wrote:

Yes, but in the meantime you closed the contract, which resulted in you sending the escrow money back to the client.

Nida Siddiq S wrote:

There is no solution.

The client could not approve the milestone now even if they wanted to, there is no milestone anymore, you closed the contract and sent the money back.

The only way to fix it would now be a bonus, but that seems unlikely.

cd10ca1d
Community Member

Thank You, Patra.

Hi there

I hope you take away the 5 day holding fixed price payment. 5 days way too long. If a client aproves milestone, please release it straightaway, no sense to keep it for 5 days --its way too long to wait.

I hope you'll do something about this.

Thank you
petra_r
Community Member

Nida Siddiq S wrote:
Hi
I completed a project and submitted my work two times but did not get any response from the client. 

When you submitted the work the second time, the 14 days to auto-approval of the milestone resets (starts at 14 days again)

Nida Siddiq S wrote:
 I ended the contract as no choice as the client was unresponsive.
14 days are gone.

There was no need to close the contract. In fact, closing the contract sent the money back to the client. You are clearly told this when you end the contract. Had you just left well alone and waited 14 days from the last time you clicked on "Submit or Resubmit" you'd have been paid. I don't know why you say you "had no choice" but to close the contract. The correct choice would have been to leave it open.

cd10ca1d
Community Member

May be you're right. I should left it open.
Still hopeful.... I learned something about fixed projects, I'll be careful next time.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths