🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Flag as inappropriate
Page options
marc_compte
Community Member

Flag as inappropriate

When you click on "Flag as inappropriate" you have various options, some of them are related to the TOS (payment outside Upwork, asking for free work,...).

But then there is a couple which seem rather subjective: more specifically "Job post is illegal or unethical" and "Job post is unclear or incomplete".

I'm just curious as to how Upwork deals with these kind of flags. A couple of times before I considered unethical job posts explicitly asking you to do homework for them and I flagged them. I'm a part-time teacher, I don't like cheating and I think it is unethical and unfair to other students unable to buy their homework. But I have no idea if that is considered unethical by Upwork.

To be more specific, I have one main question:

- Would it be possible to have some kind of feedback (automatic and template based is more than enough) on how our flags have been resolved?

I think having feedback would help raise better informed flags and less "I just don't like this" flags that may add extra work to moderators. It could save us time, to all of us.

And if not, then I have two follow-up questions:

- How does Upwork manage the unethical, unclear and incomplete flags? Does each moderator have their own opinion and go with it? Is there a cheat sheet?

- Do you consider "do my homework" ethical?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Marc wrote:

But then there is a couple which seem rather subjective: more specifically "Job post is illegal or unethical" and "Job post is unclear or incomplete".

Basically, the question is whether a job post violates the terms of service or not. Something that you may find morally objectionable, but does not violate the terms of service, won't be actioned. It's less subjective that it seems at first glance.

I'm just curious as to how Upwork deals with these kind of flags. A couple of times before I considered unethical job posts explicitly asking you to do homework for them and I flagged them. I'm a part-time teacher, I don't like cheating and I think it is unethical and unfair to other students unable to buy their homework. But I have no idea if that is considered unethical by Upwork.

You can use "other" and write "academic fraud" into the text field to make it clear what you are reporting. Academic fraud is against the terms of service, so should be actioned.

Do you consider "do my homework" ethical?

I don't but it's irrelevant what I think. It's a violation of the terms of service, and as such should be adressed.It isn't always though. There are "clients" who do nothing but hire people to do academic fraud, even perfectly blatantly, and they are still about despite being flagged over and over.

Flagging is a bit hit and miss. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Marc wrote:

Basically, the question is whether a job post violates the terms of service or not. Something that you may find morally objectionable, but does not violate the terms of service, won't be actioned. It's less subjective that it seems at first glance.

You can use "other" and write "academic fraud" into the text field to make it clear what you are reporting. Academic fraud is against the terms of service, so should be actioned.

Do you consider "do my homework" ethical?

I don't but it's irrelevant what I think. It's a violation of the terms of service, and as such should be adressed.It isn't always though. There are "clients" who do nothing but hire people to do academic fraud, even perfectly blatantly, and they are still about despite being flagged over and over.

Flagging is a bit hit and miss. 

re: "Job post is illegal or unethical"

This should be used very cautiously. If you're not sure, then maybe you should discuss the matter with the Forum.

Everything is ethical or illegal somewhere.

It's illegal to sell chewing gum in Singapore. Cheeseburgers aren't kosher. That does not mean Upwork users should flag job posts involving chewing gum or cheeseburgers.

Preston, having stayed in Singapore for awhile, I'm inclined to hope for a global ban of bubblegum sanctioned by Upwork, United Nations, and UNICEF (in that order!), since I personally don't need or know how to appreciate bubblegum.

I would also like to make consuming one coconut per day mandatory to everyone in every country, since I have personally found it a fantastic and nearly healthy habit.

Unfortunately, I think almost all other people on the planet, not speaking of countries who dictate their own legislation, would disagree.

🤣:desert_island:🤪

So, I'm stuck in my personal and unlegislated bubblegum-free but coconut-filled bubble. So sad. 🙄

Preston H wrote:

re: "Job post is illegal or unethical"

This should be used very cautiously. If you're not sure, then maybe you should discuss the matter with the Forum.

Everything is ethical or illegal somewhere.

Preston's idea of the Upwork Community Forum as an omniscient Council of Elders + his theory of absolute relativity, presented to you all in one fell swoop. 🙂 

Every time I go through my job feed, I end up flagging cases of academic fraud. There's a huge number of people out there who regard Upwork as an easy way of bypassing academic work. I always click "Job post is illegal or unethical" when doing this. It's at least one of those things, besides being a clear violation of ToS.

calvo_juan
Community Member

There are several options. When the job description is something like "fsdafdsfdfdfdasfs" I flag it as "job post is unclear or incomplete". When the job post contains contact information such as a Whatsapp number, I flag it as "job post contains contact information". Flagging does nothing in most cases though. Contacting the team directly via chat or email does nothing, besides a reassuring response. It seems people can afford not to do their job in times of economic crisis after all.

almostanangel
Community Member

Why is the ''Please tell us more'' function NOT working, when flagging a job? 

Hi Nenad,

Thank you for reporting this. I tried and can't replicate the issue on my end. I can see the option to share additional details when flagging a job post. You need to scroll down to the bottom part, where you can type in additional information. Please see this screenshot for your reference.

Let us know if the issue persists with a screenshot of what you can see from your end, and we'll look further into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members