cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Flaw with the Availability Setting in the Freelancer Profile

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
1 of 5

A week ago, I set my profile's availability setting to reflect not available from Dec 24 to January 3..which is why I am so surprised to see that I have an invite sent to me on the 25th!!!

First of all, Idk what was going on in that client's mind (hello December 25, observe common sense please no matter what your religion is) and also, why is it that people can send invites to freelancers who are technically 'on leave'?

Why this is an issue: For a freelancer, how soon you respond to an invite or an offer is recorded by the platform and can be taken against you, so yep, this is very important for me. It is your response rate and affects how you are shown to potential clients.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Is this a new bug?

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5
Pretty sure it is not a bug. The availability feature was never programmed to block invites. It causes your availability to be displayed on your profile, and it may block your name from showing up in searches for candidates (or not?), but it does not block communications from live people, which is what a private invite is. You found this to be inconvenient, but many people would be flattered.

Who knows? Maybe it is a really good job from a banker who wants you to write about this dream he had... About three ghosts who visited him to warn about the direction his life is going...
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
3 of 5

Hi all! I have never noticed anything wrong with the availability setting. However, I have never tried the "Not Available" settings.

I have noticed that when periodically changing from full-time to part-time and back that soon after the changes there seems to be more activity but only for a few days after the changes. For instance, showing up in client searches more often.

The same seems true about applications. Submitting applications steadily and submitting more of them seems to result in more activity. Again, showing up in client searches more often and occasional though few invitations.

My current experiment involves making no applications at all, playing around in the forum, a little SEO, and a little SMM (more of a marketing recipe than a marketing strategy). The forum has turned out to be good for lead generation resulting in new jobs with less expense.

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
4 of 5

I guess what we can conclude about this is that the availability settings is another useless feature for now Smiley Sad

I hope they fix it or at least make it have some purpose. Clients don't seem to read profiles, much more notice the very small availability note at the sidebar.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 5

Hi everybody!

Selecting "Not Available" will limit the visibility of freelancer's profile in search. However, it does not prevent clients who worked with the freelancer before or who saved their profile from sending an invitation. However, they will be able to see the information on freelancer's profile and draw appropriate conclusions.

Thank you for the discussion and feedback, I'll be happy to share it with the Team and we'll keep working on improving the feature to make it more beneficial for oDesk users.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS