Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flaws and bane of job success rate metric in freelancer profile

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
11 of 22

Hi Torrie,

There are a lot of factors that may affect your JSS rating. To know more about your JSS rating you can click on the link below.

Job Success Score

Untitled
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
12 of 22

I would appreciate a revision of my JSS. 

That's not a very reasonable request. Did you read any of the other posts about the JSS? Did you see any of the other requests/demands/pleas result in someone successfully getting their JSS changed? 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 22

@Torrie R wrote:

Hello,

I have contacted Upwork Customer Support but I am not happy with my Job Success Score. I am relatively new to Upwork and my first JSS was 80%. I have had extremely positive feedback and multiple repeat clients. I think part of the problem was that I have clients who keep funding the initial project rather than creating a new job contract.

The only negative in this is that your satisfied clients haven't left feedback.

I ended some contracts that were finished that the client did not end and provided that feedback to the client.

You leaving feedback for the client is irrelevant. In those cases, the client did not leave you feedback, which leaves Upwork with no basis for calling the job a success.

All of my jobs with feedback are very positive.

No. Your largest-dollar client rated you "3" for both quality and skills. I'm sure that had a significant impact. In addition, you have no idea whether that client (or others) left private feedback that was less positive than the public feedback.

I had one job that I ended without pay due to an unresponsive client and then she assigned me a new contract which I am finishing up right now but the first contract ended without pay. I did not realize how to leave feedback initially but now I always give the client feedback. I do not feel that my JSS is representative of my work on Upwork and is harming my ability to attract clients regardless of the proposals I submit.

This is exactly the same thing that everyone who is unhappy with his/her JSS says. 

I was told I had 80% positive feedback, 20% no feedback, and 20% poor feedback but that does not add up. I would appreciate a revision of my JSS. 

I'm not sure who told you this, but don't get too fixated on it. You actually have 20% no feedback and 10% negative feedback based on what shows publicly, but there are a great many other factors in play. It's very likely that the large client who rated your skills and quality so poorly gave you negative private feedback. 

skybuzz
James P Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
14 of 22
The inaccuracy of the JS score system just showed up for me. My all of the client have given very good rating for me. But recently I have hired for a job which was closed due to the mismatch in the job and the said job post. But the client has invited me to do the right job and I have successfully completed the job. Now the client is not available and he haven't given any feedback yet to the job.

But my job success score appeared after I refunded the wrong job post which was closed previously and it showed up 89%. Which made me to feel so bad.

Please let me know is there any way to get the correct JS score.

I don't know whether upwork is working to improve the JS score algorithm. But I can say it is absolutely incomplete.
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
15 of 22

Refunds probably have a huge impact on the JSS. Many providers are using refunds to clear away bad ratings from unhappy clients, resulting from poor service. With the JSS, they cannot hide their underperformance anymore with this old trick.

Unfortunately, when a legitimate refund happens, like in your case, the system shows its limits.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 22

@Rene K wrote:

Refunds probably have a huge impact on the JSS. Many providers are using refunds to clear away bad ratings from unhappy clients, resulting from poor service. With the JSS, they cannot hide their underperformance anymore with this old trick.

Unfortunately, when a legitimate refund happens, like in your case, the system shows its limits.

Hi Rene,

Refunds don't have any impact on the Job Success Score. We have posted on this topic before and you can find my comment in the most recent discussion in this thread.

Untitled
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 22

Thanks Vlad. I thought it was the case and to be honest with you, it would make some sense for the reasons that I mentioned.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
phosphor
Ace Contributor
Jordan G Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
18 of 22

Garnor M. said

---------------------

**This is incorrect as the Job Success score calculations are stable. True that don't provide the exact calculation to users nor do we expect to do so. Keeping the exact calculation private is a necessary measure to ensure the measurement doesn't get abused by users who have less-than-altruistic objectives in mind. We do provide insight into what factors are included in Job Success here in our Help documentation.

-------------------------

First of all there is no way for us freelancers to know for sure if it is being calculated correctly, and all we have to prove it's working is your word despite the loads of evidence to the contrary that have been posted in 20+ page threads in these forums.  Further making it likely that the score is incorrectly being calculated is that amount of other bugs that exist.

But even if you set this aside, the logic used in calculating the JSS is faulty at best, if not outright ludicrous.  Can have 2 year of fully satisfied clients, take a year sabbatical, and have a 0 jss, how is this right?

As well the fact that the JSS stops at two years is pretty baffling, as it means long term success is not considered. 

How can anything with hidden feedback be fair?  Furthermore without knowing the formula, there is no way to determine the validity of the metric, and definitely no way to determine accuracy.

Garnor M also wrote:

------------------------------------

**I've responded on this concern before and we'll be adding it to our Help documentation as well. Unresponsive clients who don't leave final ratings are problematic. However, I'll reiterate that for the vast majority of freelancers these don't factor into your Job Success score because the "no feedback" jobs are such a small portion of your overall track record. In fact we specifically ensure these jobs have no negative impact on your Job Success score. It appears many freelancers may be overstating the significance of this scenario.
For others, where the job is ongoing, a long history of work with a client indicates to us there's a good relationship and you're gaining the benefit of this long-term engagement and not getting negatively impacted by a lack of final ratings.

----------------------------------

However this statement has proven to be false again and again in these forums, with people posting about drastically lower scores with only one or two instances of lack of feedback.  Clients not leaving feedback is quite common, contrary to what you may think, however this should not matter because a freelancer should not expect punitive scoring based on factors beyond control. What is clear however is the lack of respect for the freelancers who's sweat makes your money.

Also mentioned is long term history, once again proving the insincerity of the way Upwork deals with freelancer. Only clients in the last year count as long term clients, not two year old clients or three, but one.  How is one year long time?  How does that reflect the benefit of a long term engagement?

It is obvious that Upwork in no way provides much extra value for freelancers, and in fact rather then treat us as the clients we are and promoting fair and accurate metrics to measure job success they instead would rather approach freelancers in a hostile and antagonistic manner.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 22

@Vladimir G wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Hi Rene,

Refunds don't have any impact on the Job Success Score. We have posted on this topic before and you can find my comment in the most recent discussion in this thread.

though refunds themselves don't directly impact JSS, I think Rene's point is valid, since poorly performing freelancers often make refunds to get rid of bad feedback, not realizing that the negative private feedback on those contracts continues to impact JSS. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
20 of 22

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Vladimir G wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Hi Rene,

though refunds themselves don't directly impact JSS, I think Rene's point is valid, since poorly performing freelancers often make refunds to get rid of bad feedback, not realizing that the negative private feedback on those contracts continues to impact JSS. 

Or a pattern of refunds (per the linked thread). 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS