🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Font licence
Page options
vidya_jaishankar
Community Member

Font licence

Hello Community!

I have the following situation at hand. 

I am a children's book lllustrator and am currently working on one which is almost completed.

Now, I have to start with the book cover (design & illustration) which includes title, subheading and other text to be printed on the cover.

If My client send me a font file (.ttf) downloaded from 1001freefonts.com.

I highly doubt that the cilent has actually bought the commercial licence of the font

If the client claims that he/she has the commercial licence , Will I be allowed to use the font without infringing the copyrights of the font

It would be really helpful, If I could get a clarity on this.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Vidya

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Vidya L wrote:

Hello Community!

I am a children's book lllustrator and am currently working on one which is almost completed.

Now, I have to start with the book cover (design & illustration) which includes title, subheading and other text to be printed on the cover.

My client has sent me a font file (.ttf) downloaded from 1001freefonts.com.

I highly doubt that the cilent has actually bought the commercial licence of the font

If she claims that she has the commercial licence , Will I be allowed to use the font without infringing the copyrights of the font

Thanks and Kind Regards

Vidya

The client would be the one responsible. Many people don't realize those "free fonts" are for personal use only. So perhaps you just mention to your client  (in a nice, professional way), that to avoid possible issues with the font designer, it's best to purchase the license - they're not all that expensive. They should also be aware that many licenses do not allow usage on products that are going to be sold.

So again, make your client aware and you've covered your bases. If they've said they have the commercial license ... it's on them, not you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mtngigi
Community Member

Vidya L wrote:

Hello Community!

My client has sent me a font file (.ttf) downloaded from 1001freefonts.com.

If she claims that she has the commercial licence , Will I be allowed to use the font without infringing the copyrights of the font

Thanks and Kind Regards

Vidya

The client would be the one responsible. Many people don't realize those "free fonts" are for personal use only. So perhaps you just mention to your client  (in a nice, professional way), that to avoid possible issues with the font designer, it's best to purchase the license - they're not all that expensive. They should also be aware that many licenses do not allow usage on products that are going to be sold.

So again, make your client aware and you've covered your bases. If they've said they have the commercial license ... it's on them, not you.

Thanks Virginia for your prompt reply. I will explain the licence part politely to the client so as to have myself covered.

Kind Regards,

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members