🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » For reduce the upwork fees or charge.
Page options
radinmir
Community Member

For reduce the upwork fees or charge.

Do you not think Upwork.com fees are very high for us? Do you ever compare our fees to other marketplaces? Freelancer fee is 10% only. There has no level 20% 10% or 5%. You can check here details - https://prnt.sc/it0ykd

Not only freelancer you can check Peoplesperhour and other marketplaces, they also give us the same opportunity. It's mean they inspire us for taking clients on their site.

At the moment if upwork.com don't reduce the charge I think, they will lose so many freelancers and clients who are really experienced and real.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Prashant is correct.

Add the service fee into your rate and then you don't have to pay 20%. That's the best way to get around it.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
tlbp
Community Member

Hmmm... are you able to apply for jobs on Freelancer.com? What do the extra tests cost you?

PeoplePerHour? You might want to do a search on the latest news. Rumor has it that right now, you will see $0 from them. 

radinmir
Community Member

You are right, there have some exam fees in freelancer.com because they change their questions. And that is hard. But check that website
1) **Edited for Community Guidelines**

In Google, there have many similar websites from where you can get the answers of upwork.com. Because of upwork.com change their question maybe once a month. I think you understand what I mean.

And many marketplaces post similar this type of post - "Freelancer project commissions charged for freelancers who refer new employers that do not have an existing account on Freelancer.com and who join and create a new account, will be reduced from 10% to 0%, for all future projects performed by the referring freelancer for the referred employer." So I just compare that.

iamchunchunchun
Community Member

For one of the sites you mentioned, you need to pay before earning money. The other one you mentioned is actually charging you 100%.

Mir, no one's making you use Upwork, so you should diversify and look for work elsewhere.

If I will choose that way, I never waste my time here. I just try to discuss with you all, so I came here. But you and your supporters directly tell me to leave upwork! My question is that if your answer is the solution to my problem, why this community center?

Your positive response will be appreciated.

I thnk you may be taking the "free to leave" comment wrong. I don't think anyone means to be rude or say "good riddance!" when they say that. It's just that different platforms and business models are profitable for different people. For many of us, the Upwork fees are quite reasonable, and allow us to work MORE profitably than if we were not using Upwork. But, that isn't true for everyone. For some people, Upwork is not the best option.

Mir:  You are using a topdown approach.  Whe you bid first decide how much you want to 'net' on that job.  Then add all the fees and bid accordingly.

Prashant is correct.

Add the service fee into your rate and then you don't have to pay 20%. That's the best way to get around it.

Mir,

This topic has been discussed here for innumerous times. 

//My question is that if your answer is the solution to my problem, why this community center?

Your positive response will be appreciated.//

Community center is to discuss.. yes.. but that doesn't mean you can post the same question been discussed here by many again and again and again. There is a search bar here where you can search for the topic and check all the discussions made.

And what do you mean by positive response? The one which you likes? Then you cannot call it as a 'discussion'.

Also, consider the fact that it does not cost you "NOTHING" to get 30 free shots a month.  So in a way you are making something out of zero. 

It is not Upwork's fault that you "CHOOSE" to bid low to get gigs.

@Ramesh K

//My question is that if your answer is the solution to my problem, why this community center?

Your positive response will be appreciated.//

I wrote it by reading that - "Mir, no one's making you use Upwork, so you should diversify and look for work elsewhere."  John K wrote me that.

charles_kozierok
Community Member

"Do you not think Upwork.com fees are very high for us?"

No, because unlike the other sites you mentioned, this one is not a total and utter waste of my time and energy.

In my somewhat specialized field, other platforms charge 25-40%.  I'm quite content with Upwork, especially with the safeguards it provides.

.................. what everyone else said

Plus, the feeling when the fee (which you obviously built into your rate at 20%) drops to 10% and then 5%, is priceless.

I prefer to to concentrate on the 80%, 90% and 95% in my pocket instead of the fee.

I price work without regard to the fee, based on professional rates I expect the prospective client to find worth the result. The fees are a cost of doing business.

The way I see it is: without a platform like UW, the cost of advertising is exorbitant in time, money or both, and you have no guarantee that you're reaching people who want to hire a freelancer right that minute, or at all. So you're spending in advance; that money is gone even if you never get a single client from it. Facebook ads, for example. I'm not talking about just having a free site up. I mean it can't just sit there, you have to actively promote it. Even if you go through free channels you will be spending tons of manhours and maybe shooting into the dark.

You might spend hundreds of dollars to get a job or two. Or it could take months. Even with a solid reputation, spreading the word on your own is very difficult. 

Here, you get exposure among a whole lot of active clients without doing any outside work to get that attention. It is one unifed platform.

You will earn way more than you will spend here, something that is by no means true when self-promoting outside a platform.

@Bill H wrote:

I price work without regard to the fee, based on professional rates I expect the prospective client to find worth the result. The fees are a cost of doing business.

Me, too. My rates already factor in cost of acquisition, since I have those in any context. On Upwork, those costs tend to be a bit lower than average, which means Upwork clients are more profitable than some others.

Tiffany, Upwork's costs are lower for initial client acquisition, but not for continuing client work. I get work from Upwork and G***.com, as well as my own prospecting.

I might spend $2K to land a private client for a $10K job, perhaps a bit more. Same as UW. He/she then becomes a client with $20,000 in work each year. I'd pay $1K in Upwork fees on that $20K. Since the work almost always involves travel, I'd lose $200 on $1K in expenses on the initial job, and $200 on $4K in expenses on the continuing work.

I'm getting ready to incur about $2K in expenses for an Upwork client. I'll lose $200 on that. The inability to separate expenses and fees is a high cost.

Agree regarding the expenses, Bill. I don't incur expenses on behalf of clients, but it's a definite obstacle for those who do--all the more so for freelancers working on smaller jobs who may be unable to easily absorb those fees.

In other regards, I don't experience as much long-term loss as you do because of the other efficiencies associated with Upwork (no tracking, invoicing, follow-up on invoices, fees associated with certain other online payment methods, etc.)

@Bill H wrote:

I might spend $2K to land a private client for a $10K job, perhaps a bit more. Same as UW.

How in the world would you possibly manage to  spend $2k to win a $10k job on Upwork?

You've never even had anywhere near a 10k job on Upwork.

tlbp
Community Member

Petra, 

Bill was making a comparison. His CAC for a client outside Upwork may be as much as $2k. Thus, if Upwork handles the acquisition and it costs him a 20% fee, his net is the same. 

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jan 31
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths