🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Foreign invites extremely low quality
Page options
tomzilla1
Community Member

Foreign invites extremely low quality

Anyway to only accept client invites from the US? Non-US invites have been extremely low quality, and waste of my time to go through and decline.

20 REPLIES 20
versailles
Community Member

Tom Z wrote:

Anyway to only accept client invites from the US? 

Yes. Do not accept Non-US invites. Easy peasy.

What do you mean by foreign invites?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@versailles wrote:

Tom Z wrote:

Anyway to only accept client invites from the US? 

Yes. Do not accept Non-US invites. Easy peasy.

He meant fur-in

Rene K wrote:
[…]

Lol. I guess we're all foreigners...

I get up to 50 proposals a day... I don't want to go through each one of them. I was saying if there's a filter we can say we don't accept any foreign invites (there's not).

Tom Z wrote:

I get up to 50 proposals a day... I don't want to go through each one of them. I was saying if there's a filter we can say we don't accept any foreign invites (there's not).

You lost me.

European clients often have the quality of U.S.-based clients.   I see quality in APAC countries. There other stories for other locations.

Bid the job.  If you get a response, gently get the person's name.  Ask for their LinkedIn profile if they respond so you can "understand them better".  Ask for their website URL so you can "understand their business enterprise better. 

Qualify the potential client by quality of public personality.  It is a good practice in all places.

You have power.  You can deny your services to anyone you want to.  "Qualify the client as much or more than they qualify you",  Then play hardball with your best interests included,

Yea what I'm saying is I'm not interested in any proposals from outside of US. I have enough invites from US. It's just wasting 20 minutes of my day everyday sorting out these junk. If there was an option for freelancers to not accept any US proposals by default that would be great.

Jennifer R wrote:

Tom Z wrote:

I get up to 50 proposals a day... 

You lost me.

He means invites.

I can see how 50 a day would indeed get tedious, but on average it's less than 5 a day, so not really the end of the world, is it?

You'd be surprised. I don't like to waste time going through bs invites.

Tom Z wrote:

You do realise that you're a "foreigner" to the rest of us? I don't understand the use of this term in a global marketplace. 

Anyway, you can just put a sentence in your profile overview to say that you only accept invitations from clients in the U.S.: "I only want to work with Americans, because everyone else is a waste of time #buildthewall." That ought to solve the "problem" of getting 50 invitations per day.

Tom Z wrote:

I was saying if there's a filter we can say we don't accept any foreign invites (there's not).

Define foreign.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Tom Z wrote:

Confusing. Are you a client or a freelancer?

Martina P wrote:

Tom Z wrote:

Confusing. Are you a client or a freelancer?

He means invites.

analyticarts
Community Member

Maybe you can raise your hourly rate. That will reduce the low quality requests.

I think it's a reasonable request to only accept invites/messages from clients from specific countries. Clients can do it when they post a job, I don't see why freelancers shouldn't be able to do it as well if they want to.

Hi Valerio,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'll be sure to share this with the team for consideration. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Yea but I don't want to price myself out of the affordability of most clients.

Tom Z wrote:

Yea but I don't want to price myself out of the affordability of most clients.

Funny, I find pursuing "most money" more profitable than pursuing "most clients."

John D wrote:
Maybe you can raise your hourly rate. That will reduce the low quality requests.

I think most clients send out invites without even paying attention to that (hourly rate, I mean). It's like Monday mornings: it just happens.

researchediting
Community Member

Replying to the headline rather than the question:

My invites from outside the US—Canada, UK, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, Turkey, UAE, China, Malaysia—often result in decent contracts and long-term, well-paying relationships. So "foreign" invites of quite high quality do exist. Any crappy invites I get from anywhere are typically outweighed—in real value if not number—by decent ones. I find myself unable to make many generalizations about geographic subdivisions of Upwork's global market.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members