Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 6166: U.S. citizens please clarify

dmitry_bx
Ace Contributor
Dmitry B Member Since: Nov 29, 2016
1 of 28

Hi everybody.

In order to reduce the tax amount I pay in my country (Belarus), I should provide an official proof that Upwork is registered in the USA. This could be achieved by providing the form 6166 by IRS (see https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/form-6166-certification-of-u-s-tax-residency ). However it is not clear if it's possible to get such a document for Upwork. Could please anyone from the U.S. clarify if it's possible to request such a form from the IRS that will state that Upwork is registered in the USA?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 28

Hi Dmitry,

I see you already communicated with our team regarding this form and our agent shared a detailed explanation on your ticket. Please follow their advice and feel free to follow up on the same ticket with an update. I'll also follow up with our team and confirm the channel you need to go through in order to obtain the document.

Untitled
dmitry_bx
Ace Contributor
3 of 28

Hi. Thank you for reply.

I've inspected the IRS website, and it looks like that the IRS doesn't provide 6166 forms for third parties, see https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/form-6166-certification-of-u-s-tax-residency . Is it possible that Upwork requests this form from the IRS, charge me for this (it costs 85$) plus any additional fees, and re-send me the received form?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 28

Dmitry, Upwork is not your client, it only processes your clients' payments as a third party processor.

dmitry_bx
Ace Contributor
5 of 28

Hi, Petra. I pay two different taxes: an income tax and a tax for Upwork fees. Upwork fees are considered to be a passive income (external revenues/whatever) of Upwork gotten from me. In order to stop paying taxes for Upwork fees, one should provide an official form 6166. This is the official statement made by the local tax service.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 28

yeah good luck getting that doc, buddy. We citizens can barely get the IRS to cooperate.

staslit
Stanislau L Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
7 of 28

Hi Dmitry,
I am from the same city as you and I have the same issue with official form 6166.Let's discuss
Let's discuss it and maybe we will find the solution.

dmitry_bx
Ace Contributor
8 of 28

Hi, Stanislav.

In order to get the form 6166, Upwork should get it from IRS and then provide this form to a freelancer. Unfortunately Upwork doesn't deal with such requests (not yet?) and cannot provide this form to us.

BTW you can open a new support request to remind them about this form Smiley Happy

staslit
Stanislau L Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
9 of 28

Upwork provided that form in 2016 so probably we will get this in 2017.
The certificate issued yearly.
But I have already submitted few tickets about it - no results.

dmitry_bx
Ace Contributor
10 of 28

Stanislav,

Are you sure that Upwork did provide this form in the past? In my support request they answered that they cannot provide such a document.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS