Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 6166: U.S. citizens please clarify

Active Member
Stanislau L Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
21 of 28



Here you can find Upwork form #6166 "Application for United States Residency Certification" for 2015-2016


And here you can find Upwork form #6166 for 2017




Active Member
Aleksandr K Member Since: Jul 14, 2015
22 of 28

Hi there!


What about the 2018 year? Or we should wait for several months as before?

Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
23 of 28

Hi Aleksandr,


Unfortunately we haven't received the 6166 form for 2018 from IRS yet. Please contact Customer Support in order for our team to include you on the list and provide a copy once it becomes available.

Active Member
Robert P Member Since: Nov 3, 2016
24 of 28

Yup. Let's sit and wait until it becomes available.  IRS Form 6166 is so subtle, complex and sophisticated that it needs go to through a good deal of red-taping.

I can envision two solutions. I'll either don't buy my kids any toys this month and somehow manage to apply for the Form 6166 using the Form 8082 (sic!), at the same time getting ripped off to the tune of 85 UeSDollars, or I will buy the Client I found with Upwork something nice and... sayonara.

Active Member
Stanislau L Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
25 of 28

Hi Aleksandr,

You can download Upwork form #6166 for 2018 here ( check version2 for HD quality)

Active Member
Maksim A Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
26 of 28

Great! Thank you!

Active Member
Hemant K Member Since: Sep 4, 2018
27 of 28

Hi everyone


I am also facing this problem but I think, even having the TRC from Upwork won't solve this problem of paying taxes for payments we make to Upwork. Because the invoice we receive, bears the name of the Freelancer we hired and not the Upwork while the name on Invoice and TRC must match.  So in this case either the TRC should be from the freelancer or the Final invoice should be from Upwork.


Am I missing something?

Active Member
Tatiana T Member Since: Sep 26, 2010
28 of 28

Hi everyone,

I live in Belarus and I have received the original paper certificates (IRS form 6166) for Belarus for years 2016, 2017 and 2018.

I'd like to thank Upwork support team and specifically Maria L. for being so kind and understanding. It is fantastic that you were able to find certificates for the past years, and it is a big help for Belarusian freelancers.


I've provided the certificates to the local tax office and took verified copies to give away. A verified copy has a stamp and an officer's signature, it can be used just the same as an original.

If you are in a need of an IRS 6166 certificate, please message me and let me know: the year(s) you need the certificates for (2016, 2017 or 2018), and your postal address in Belarus. Then I'll send a copy to you (free of charge).

My email: **Edited for Community Guidelines**