cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum keeps eating posts?

charles_kozierok
Community Guru

Last night I wrote a long post in Clients, I saw it get submitted, then it disappeared.

 

It just happened again in a Coffee Break thread. It was there, as I was able to edit it, then disappeared. This time I had saved a copy so I reposted.. that one also disappeared.

 

Anyone else experiencing this?

17 REPLIES 17
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru

I believe that they are often merging posts with other posts on the same subject.

That's a good thought and does happen sometimes. But last night it was a very specific thread and no other posts were moved, and this morning again in Coffee Break, no other threads were moved and the second attempt at posting had the post disappear in under 15 seconds.

Must have crossed the yellow line.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I think when the moderators deem your thread to be in the wrong place they move it and don't tell you. 

It was just a casual chit-chat reply to a chit-chat thread in Coffee Break. Not sure where it could have been moved to... and it doesn't show up on my forum profile.

Hi Charles,

 

I can confirm your posts weren't removed by Valeria or myself and it seems they were flagged and removed automatically. I reposted the two comments that were removed in error and you should be able to access them now from your Community page.

Untitled

Thanks Vladimir. It seemed like a "computer thing" and not a "human thing".

 

Is there something I should be doing differently to avoid this?


@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Charles,

 

I can confirm your posts weren't removed by Valeria or myself and it seems they were flagged and removed automatically. I reposted the two comments that were removed in error and you should be able to access them now from your Community page.


 

Flagged and removed by a bot?!?

 

Why can't you apply the same scrutiny to the myriad of fake profiles set up by people using last names such as 'Mobile' and 'Mobile Development'???

I'm rather confused by this too.

 

Compared to many other forums, this one is relatively low volume. And it seems to me that having it properly managed by smart people is part of why we pay 20% of all of our fees to the site.

 

Furthermore, if bots are going to remove our posts based on predefined criteria, why would those bots not also send PMs saying what was removed and why?

Charles, Ela and others,

 

Please, note that the Community is provided by a third party vendor and is separate from the marketplace. It's  automatic filter systems has helped us tremendously to minimize the amount of spam in the Community. We'll continue working to make sure there are as few false positives as possible.

 

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks for the clarification.

 

Perhaps the filtering system could be told to whitelist people who are active participants here?


@Charles K wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

 

Perhaps the filtering system could be told to whitelist people who are active participants here?


 Not good idea. I wouldn't whitelist myself. I would actually keep an eye on myself.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I'd keep an eye on you too Rene, but we have very competent human mods here with eyes. Bots don't have eyes. 🙂

 


@Valeria K wrote:

Charles, Ela and others,

 

Please, note that the Community is provided by a third party vendor and is separate from the marketplace. It's  automatic filter systems has helped us tremendously to minimize the amount of spam in the Community. We'll continue working to make sure there are as few false positives as possible.

 

Thank you for your understanding.


 

Then get Upwork programmers to learn from Zendesk and its bots & filter systems? And apply them/something similar to the marketplace ASAP? 

 

To get rid of as many (true) positives = fake profiles as possible?

It seems a lot more important (to me anyway) to reduce the amount of spam somewhere where there's money & reputation involved.

researchediting
Community Guru

Also happened to me a couple times in the last few weeks. It's about to drive me from the forum.


@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Also happened to me a couple times in the last few weeks. It's about to drive me from the forum.


Don't even think about it, DMM. We'll figure out a work-around.

 

Charles, I notice that your post, which was deleted twice, was a bit on the lengthy side. So perhaps length is a factor for spam detection purposes. We need to identify common factors in zapped posts to minimize false positives. 

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
researchediting
Community Guru
Valeria, thank you for the clarification. My understanding does not extend to the lack of notice to the poster, and to the lack of immediate (or adequate?) human review for false positives.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS