🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fraud ALERT
Page options
taylorfeeney23
Community Member

Fraud ALERT

This person or persons gave me fraudulent checks and I am out $1950. While I understand it is advised to not take payment outside of up work I had never freelanced before and somehow justified this all made sense. I wanted to notify you of this user. They contacted me on said job role and told me to contact someone on gmail. While I realize I got myself into this situation, I really am trying to make all parties involved aware. They are posing as a construction company and writing checks with the company logo. I even went through a 30 minute interview with them. I’ve attached the information from my messages from them on this site.

4 REPLIES 4
versailles
Community Member

Taylor F wrote:
 While I understand it is advised to not take payment outside of up work 

It is not advised. It is strictly prohibited by the site's terms of service. For the rest, the check scam is as old as the Internet and it's weird that people actually fall for it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
martina_plaschka
Community Member

It's a shame you lost so much money, but there are a lot of scammers operating here, and they pose as different persons or companies, so calling them out in one presentation is not doing much to stop them. 

But there are many good clients here too, and now you know how to stay safe. 

lysis10
Community Member

They only need 1 to buy them a new Merc. Someone's getting a new car it seems.

JoanneP

Hi Taylor,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have already reported this client. I won't be able to share more information here in the community, but I'd like to let you know that our team has taken appropriate actions against this client. I encourage you to please read the freelancer resources we have compiled here. Please read this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members