🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraud Alert
Page options
2b5d06b5
Community Member

Fraud Alert

I received what I thought was legit communication through a potential client to hire me for freelance work. Now I am realizing this is probably a scam. Here is the latest email I received: "Accounting will scan your check which i will be sending so you can proceed to do a mobile deposit on your mobile phone. I hope the name you gave is same as that on your account cause that’s what will be inserted in check." Note I have no idea what they are even talking about with a check and their English has suddenly gotten worse. Sad that I have been wasting my credits on several scams so far. Pretty disappointed in Upwork.

3 REPLIES 3
a_lipsey
Community Member

Tracy M wrote:

I received what I thought was legit communication through a potential client to hire me for freelance work. Now I am realizing this is probably a scam. Here is the latest email I received: "Accounting will scan your check which i will be sending so you can proceed to do a mobile deposit on your mobile phone. I hope the name you gave is same as that on your account cause that’s what will be inserted in check." Note I have no idea what they are even talking about with a check and their English has suddenly gotten worse. Sad that I have been wasting my credits on several scams so far. Pretty disappointed in Upwork.

If the job is still open, go to the job and report it as a scam/fraud. If/when they remove it, you will get your connects back. Job posts that break TOS are removed and anyone who applied gets their connects back.  

Thanks Amanda - It looks like they removed the post already. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members