Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Client *Edited*, I need Help !

r2streu
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
11 of 13

You're 100% correct on point #1.

However, for fixed price, I think it probably depends on the type of work performed. As a voice-over professional, I work almost exclusively in fixed price. For one, that is the industry standard. We have prices on what we do, and for how much. For certain things, like editing, the pricing is often hourly, but for straight VO reads, it's generally, "here's what I'll do, and it'll cost you $XX." 

Hourly is, for these types of jobs, a massive pain in the neck, and I generally won't agree to it. It's too hard to know what I'll be getting paid for a job, and WAY too easy to get paid FAR less than what the job is worth. If I'm willing to do a 60-second read for $60, it's not the client's concern if it only takes me ten minutes to do so. On top of that, adjusting my hourly rate to reflect what the job is worth vs the time it takes me to do it would be a huge shock to most clients (in this example, say $360 an hour), and the sticker shock alone would be enough to put them off entirely. 

This is because, ultimately, most clients don't KNOW how much time it actually takes, and every read is different -- which means while I can offer a solid guess as to how long it'll take, I can't know for sure until it's actually done. 

Now, again, I'm sure it's different for every type of job -- but it's worth mentioning that pay-per-product is actually often a very GOOD way to do business. You just have to know how to manage client expectations, and keep good records of communication in the event there IS a dispute. 

(FTR, from what I'm learning here, it sounds like said disputes are a LOT more prevalant in the design sector than in VO... I've never dealt with one.)

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
12 of 13

@Randy S wrote:

You're 100% correct on point #1.

---------

(FTR, from what I'm learning here, it sounds like said disputes are a LOT more prevalant in the design sector than in VO... I've never dealt with one.)

That could be very true....In your space the project and its outcome is clearly defined. In the web design space the boundaries are bit fuzzy.  It is not always easy to draft a contract with every t and i crossed.  In real worldI have built in those fuzziness in my price.  On Upwork it is not possible.  I am competing with $5/hr folks.  In addition in the real outside world I am always ahead of the game by a step - before I start a contract I require a down payment while on upwork I am always behind a step.  This is reverse of how the real world operates.  You buy something online-You pay first.  Oc course you can return it, but it requires effort and you are dealing with tangible 'stuff'.  On upwork one sells only intangible stuff.  If you know how to play the game you can screw every free lancer you hire and still get the 'stuff'.

Yes the free lancer would leave negative feed back, but since the jobs are not so ample - others will jump.  Also it is easy to create new accounts and post new jobs without penalty.

zedwebsolution
Harminder S Member Since: Aug 4, 2016
13 of 13

Hi Prashant,

Thanks for your reply,  Your comments are really meaningfull and I ll definitly take care in future.

Harminder

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS