Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud Client / Unjust System

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
11 of 18

Martina, I guess he's learning this lesson. Don't make it worse!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
12 of 18

Petra, thanks for the info on clients not being able to just change the contract. That would be a nightmare!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
13 of 18

Martina,

This new freelancer made many mistakes, no doubt. But anyone who thinks it is easy-peazy to use Upwork from Day One has been on Upwork long enough to forget more than a newby can ever know. 

You say, "you used the help of your wife (not allowed, you can get suspended for that)." 

I am not aware of anything Upwork has publicly stated in the way of whom a freelancer is "allowed" to use to help fulfill an Upwork contract. Where did you get your information from?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
14 of 18

Never mind. I see Petra set the record straight on allowable helpers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 18

Will L wrote:

I am not aware of anything Upwork has publicly stated in the way of whom a freelancer is "allowed" to use to help fulfill an Upwork contract. Where did you get your information from?

They have, but it changed over the years. It used to be that subcontracting was not allowed, full stop. Then it was changed to only being allowed for fixed rate contracts. It's stated in the terms.

It would appear that "Peter's" account is gone anyway, but the point of those of us who originally commented went off on a tangent - We are translators. "Peter" or whatever his name is, is not a translator, does not list either translation as a skill nor Hebrew as a language he speaks, and even admits that he merely "understands" it. So he took a job doing something that is outside his skillset, translating from one language he does not master into another he doesn't either.

He is an architect. What he is doing is a bit like a translator trying to design a house using a can opener.

Those of us who are translators see the consequences of such things on a daily basis.

So yes, the client did behave apallingly badly, but likely got what he paid for. The translation equivalent of a house designed with a can opener.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 18
Petra, this is one of the most egregious examples of a client cheating a freelancer by not fully funding a milestone that I’ve seen, and I’ve seen more than a few. It would be nice if one time Upwork could sanction a client for this kind of skullduggery. For instance, since the client had the gall to flag the freelancer, perhaps Upwork could balance the scales and suspend the client. It’s not as though the client is contributing a lot to Upwork’s bottom line.
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 18

John K wrote:
. For instance, since the client had the gall to flag the freelancer, perhaps Upwork could balance the scales and suspend the client.

For all we know, they have already done so.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 18

The honeypot of the Upwork forums strikes again.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS