🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fraud Client and Connect Issue
Page options
rehem100
Community Member

Fraud Client and Connect Issue

Hello Team,

Recently I see there are a lot of fraudulent client activities. They post a nice job with proper descriptions and verified the payments. We freelance applied to the job with our paid connections

Is there any way to get back our connections if the client is fake or fraudulent?

I look forward to see your reply.

Regards
Rahmat Ullah

15 REPLIES 15
77cda6fa
Community Member

The Scammers have started  to buy upwork accounts I reported a "Job" the other day that looked legit had a past history had good reviews but was sent an email from the so called CEO wanting to use my upwork account.  Hard nope I reported the ad and the convo which was all still there surprisingly.  NORMALLY if you report something they give you your connects back however it seems the support team is streched thin right now maybe Upwork should hire some of us to help em out?

That's true, I applied for a job in Upwork, and the client offered me to join his WhatsApp group for further details. I reported to Upwork. The same person posted a new job from a different account a few days later, coincidently I applied again for this job and the fake client sent me the same WhatsApp group link, so I reported again to Upwork. This is so rediculous! 

rehem100
Community Member

Hello Justin,
I never see them back my connects for the fake and fraudulent client issues. I do not see any rules in Upwork for this.

Thank you for the reply.

tlsanders
Community Member

What leads you to conclude that these jobs, with proper descriptions and verified payments, are fraudulent?

If Upwork concludes that, they remove the job and refund your connects. So, if you're not getting your connects back, it seems that you and Upwork have reached different conclusions--or that no one has bothered to report the job.

Hello Tiffany,
Yes, proper descriptions and verified payments, are fraudulent.

759e32fa

Hi Md Rahmat,

Thank you for reaching out. Connects are only refunded when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

~ AJ
Upwork

Post deleted. I misread Annie J's post. 

Hi Annie,
Thank you for the reply but Upwork should do a proper strategy to avoid this type of client profile.

Hi Annie,

It seems as a scripted answer. Is there any policy to get back connects if a scammer posts a job? Sometimes, we report fake jobs and you guys remove them too. But do we get back our connects in that case? What's the policy if you mark the scammer and his job post?

Hello Rashed,

You have raised very good questions about it. Till now I am looking for the answer.

debi-f
Community Member

Unfortunately, this is the story of the last months / years here at Upwork.

Full of scammers, new method of bidding, so you buy connects and boost your bid (Upwork gets money from you, even when you don't get jobs), and we are not hired.

I hope that Upwork will read our comments and do something about it.

In the meantime, I decided not to buy connects and I will bid (without boosting my bid) only for real, serious clients that have a good Profile, with a high hiring percentage, or previous clients that I know. 

rehem100
Community Member

Hi Debora,
You are right but if you want a potential new client, what will you do? I always looking for new and payment-verified profiled profiles for a potential clients. After all, if it is a scam case then all the things and efforts are washed out. 

debi-f
Community Member

We have to check the client's Profile, if he hired people in the past, when, read the freelancers feedbacks, if the payment is verified... Just we have to take care before applying. And, I don't recommend boosting the bid. If the client is serious, he will read the proposals and choose the best for him. 

tlsanders
Community Member

When you say "we are not hired," you know that is not universal, right? It would not benefit Upwork to stick with a system that resulted in an overall decline in hiring. 

d13950c4
Community Member

This is a very serious problem. I also face and lose lots of connects because of those fraudulent.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members