🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraud Client
Page options
9850c83d
Community Member

Fraud Client

I had a client contact me via the messaging service but gave me an alternate e-mail to contact. The title of the job was for an event production company logo. This was not the case he gave me a link to an unsecured website for a construction company then proceeded to send me e-mails which made little to no sense, words being used in the wrong context. I replied being full on my guard knowing at some point he would be asking for banking details. Anytime I tried to ask about the logo he wanted to be done he would reply with questions like "do you have a computer and web association". Then came the e-mail which asked for all my personal info including bank details, address and current employer. Too which I politely declined to give any of the information as any money would be exchanged through Upwork. Then he wanted to ask how I wanted my name to appear on the contract, which is funny to me as usual, it would be me sending a contract, and really attempting to keep the conversation going. I kindly declined the job offer as it was very fishy and by this point, I had still no idea of what this person actually wanted to be done. If anyone gets this type of client please beware because I even tried to call the phone number on the "website" he gave me and it was a dead-end when I was investigating this client. I have the e-mails of my conversations with this person though they removed the job now.

1 REPLY 1
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for reporting this. I was able to locate the job you're referring to and it has been already taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths