🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraud-Does Upwork Go After Them?
Page options
goldenberg-laur
Community Member

Fraud-Does Upwork Go After Them?

I am newish to Upwork and nearly got scammed.  I have lots of proof needed to go after this guy.  Does Upwork do that?  I don't think filing with the government will get me very far.

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Fraud-Does Upwork Go After Them?"

Yes.

Upwork essentially has absolute authority about who uses its platform, and what kind of access people have.

Upwork DOES go after fraudsters. When freelancers report fraudulent clients or scammers to Upwork, Upwork investigates and terminates their accounts. This forces scammers to continually create new fake accounts, so that they can not build up an impressive track record that makes them look like a trusted long-term user.

ALSO, another benefit to you when you report scammers is that Upwork will remove their job postings and the connects you used to send a job proposal will be RETURNED to you.

So reporting scammers on Upwork benefits the community as a whole, and it benefits you directly.

re: "I am newish to Upwork and nearly got scammed. I have lots of proof needed to go after this guy. Does Upwork do that?"

Yes.

As explained above.

You can report a scammer by clicking on the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner of the job posting page.

re: "I don't think filing with the government will get me very far."

You are correct.

"Filing with the government" will accomplish nothing.
This is an Upwork matter. Report it to Upwork.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lauren,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report? I'll be sure to escalate it accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths