🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraud/Scam by **Edited for Community Guidelin...
Page options
7bcb8ac7
Community Member

Fraud/Scam by **Edited for Community Guidelines**

BEWARE BEWARE

Hi!

beware of the names posing as **Edited for Community Guidelines** and **Edited for Community Guidelines** in Telegram).

they are offering a retyping job and accepts your proposal and they will direct you to Telegram for an interview.

first they will ask you if you're 100% willing and guarantee with the company then they will test your typing skills. after that they will send you a PDF file for the project details to choose from and you need to pay for ranging from $50-$150 for refundable insurance fee.

fortunately for me I already noticed that it might be a scam before paying their "insurance fee". 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

30 REPLIES 30
yofazza
Community Member

Thanks for the info but it's a common scam with a lot of victims already.

Yes, and since retyping job scams are so common with soi many victims, someone from Upwork should be paying special attention to them and removing them. The scam ones are beyond obvious to spot. And if they still get posted, there should be some sort of high-alert when someone flags them so that they are taked down immediatley.

That presumes anyone from UpWork is even looking at job postings, I don't believe they are, or if they are, they are doing it with their eyes closed, and most likely asleep. The amount of blatantly obvious scams, illegal activities, frauds and other nefarious posts is insane. Even a well-trained marsupial could spot and weed out most of them.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. We certainly understand you're upset about continuously seeing these suspicious job posts. Rest assured that our teams are working collaboratively to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher-than-usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety.

Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing your feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about the team's initiatives. We would truly appreciate it if you let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
759e32fa

Hi Christian,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. As a gentle reminder, please know that communicating outside Upwork prior to a contract starting is a violation of our Terms of Service and your account could get suspended for this.

Please utilize our Message Center in order to protect yourself from scams. Additionally, you can send us a flag if you encounter any suspicious user activity so we can investigate.

~ AJ
Upwork
renata101
Community Member

Hi Christian,

Companies like the ones you mentioned don't post here because they have their own platforms.

Before you do anything else on this platform, you should research some ways to stay safe working on Upwork.
This post describes red flags for many of the scams that happen on the platform.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Also, make sure you have a contract in place before you start working.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/One-way-to-avoid-being-scammed-Don-t-start-work-withou...

claudysky
Community Member

What was the name of the project manager who talked to you through Telegram?

Hi Clauderen,

If someone is trying to interview you through Telegram or you're looking at a job posting with Telegram contact information, it's probably a scam. Take a look at the article called Top Red Flags that I posted a link to, and see if anything sounds familiar.

Appen recruits through its own website, so you won't see Appen's jobs posted on Upwork.

The name is not important. Scammers do not use their real names.

What is important is to never communicate outside Upwork before a contract is in place as it is a violation of the Terms of Service. You can find them at the bottom of this page.

re: "What was the name of the project manager who talked to you through Telegram?"

The name does not matter.

What matters is the behavior.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 I talked to one of them recently.

b546dc99
Community Member

Thank you for the message.

I received 2 offers which I declined and I insited it should be through Upwork.

This morning I received the third one and I will decline as well.

2fd37c83
Community Member

Hi! 

I was contacted today after applying in upwork, they sent me a link for Telegram to contact someone called Michael, and the same offer was presented to me as well.As talking to him the job description and position got deleted from upwork. When I searched the company page, in their flaud claims this is one of the cases, as I confronted the person about it, they sent some huge paragraphs about having disagreements and cases in court with people that's why they need the deposit "to verify it is indeed you" as well as it is sensitive goverment information, and called me like 3 times, asking for the deposit immediately, proving it is indeed a scam.

It's a terms of service violation for you to exchange any contact information with a client, so you violated this rule when you agreed to go on Telegram. If you don't break the rules, there's much less chance of being scammed.

harisfaisal1
Community Member

If you don't see this coming....

67c625aa
Community Member

RE: **Edited for Community Guidelines** SCAM (Person's name: **Edited for Community Guidelines**)

I applied to a typist position (where they were asking to re type documents on me word by looking at screenshots and images) on Upwork Talent and got a message on them where they had sent me a link to a telegram chat. I downloaded the app and asked them about the job details. They sent me their company's terms and conditions screenshot and asked me to transfer them a payment registration fee of $200. I insisted them to send me a formal offer on the app which they repeatedly refused to do and pressed upon the fact that I send them the money so they can start my contract. I immediately searched them online and found out that a lot of other people have reported this company for scam. I got lucky that way and didn't transfer them anything. When I called them out for their scam and sent screenshots of people who had reported their scam, they deleted the chat history and blocked me. I had already taken a screenshot of their contract. 

Please beware of this scammer and don't initiate conversation about the job outside the Upwork app. 

How are they getting away with this as an apparently publicly listed company? (ING) they have a post that's live right now. 

Darren F wrote:

How are they getting away with this as an apparently publicly listed company? (ING) they have a post that's live right now. 

Because they don't really work for this company, obviously. A scammer isn't going to tell you their real name, and they're not actually employed by anyone - they're scammers. They often go through Linked In and pick out a name and company because naive people will look them up and assume that they're legit.

c95da2fe
Community Member

Scam all over. I applied, I got the answer attached, got directed to the telegram account mentioned in the message. 

The person there pretended she was the manager of Ingenta and sent a blurry "terms and conditions" page, where no fee, number of pages or deadlines were mentioned. 

But they specified one has to pay a fee to enroll 

RED FLAG!!! 

Communicating outside Upwork was the red flag as it is a violation of their Terms of Service.

7d39c81c
Community Member

uff! I am telegram with them! Upwork should follow on this!! 

If you used Telegram with a client, you should have reported the client and left it alone. You need to read the Terms of Service and this post from Wes, before you lose your money and your Upwork account. You are responsible for everything that you do, including participating in a scam.

a44a3e1d
Community Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to this platform, and while I was doing some research about a Company which contacted me (Ingenta), I found this forum. 
Does anyone know anything about this? They sent me a Telegram chat to do a translation and now they ask me to pay a registration fee to get the payment.

It's always a scam. Read this excellent advice from Wes.

6af33a4d
Community Member

Hello everyone. Thankfully I listened to that little voice in my head telling me something is not quite right and came here for answers. It's a PDF to Word "job", big PDF files, that should be typed, not copy / past of any kind. Which for me is weird because why not finish faster and with a lot less work?! They sent me message on the app with a link to a Telegram contact.

I'm a newby so I asked if I shouldn't wait for the contract to be active (or something) first. They told me not to worry, they would take care of it. This was all today. But still no contract, message on the app disappeared. The conversation I had is still on Telegram (print screen done and copy/paste of the convo too). And, a plus, just noticed that the company name on the offer is not the same (nor similar) of the company name on the header of a form I received from them.

Why people do this?! Is so sad. It's not my case, but some people really need the money and doing this to them is really... bad,

Should I file a complaint here? I have almost no data... The job offer was taken down, at least I can not see it. 

Sorry for the rant!

Edit: went to messages on the computer, I literally saw the messages disappear!! But the contact was still there! Print screen done! And saved!

Should I report this or is it a waste of time because the contacts probably are bogus?

Report to Upwork. The write from one form to another, is always a scam. We have programs for that. Yes, it's a scam.

Read this post from Wes, and learn about the common, ever-present scams. They will come and go, but they all have the same result - the freelancers lose everything because they didn't follow basic, platform rules.

tikus
Community Member

Yes, I got this a few months ago, retyping or translation, and note, that they have verified payment (so this verified thingy alone is actually not a guarantee). Telegram was used also for interviews. If you google them, you might be able to see the company's name, but there is no "actual information" about them. When I was about to report them via Upwork, their ads disappeared instantly. but then similar ads appeared again about 1 hour later or so. it's strange.

As soon as you see Telegram, it's a scam.

Verified payment means absolutely nothing. The important thing is to have the job funded before starting work.

Why bother Googling anyone? The thieves use real names and companies. Learn about vetting jobs, and clients.

It's not strange at all. The scammers post, collect enough money from freelancers who refuse to follow Upwork's Terms of Service, then come to the forum and blame Upwork. The ads disappear, then they create new ads. This is why you need to know what you are doing, because no one, including Upwork, will protect you.

Use the Academy and read and memorize this post from Wes on Scams.

ddhanara
Community Member

same kinda thing happened. They were asking for a registration fee from 300$-82$ but I looked into the company name and found these posts here. Omg.

tikus
Community Member

the same thing happened a few days ago, and this time they have a history of spending money on Upwork to pay someone. The same old thing happened, gave a telegram, wanna chat? Please note, that not all freelancers remember that we have to stick to upwork chat, especially when we always deal with good clients. So anyways, I didn't reply, but I reported them. The next day, their ads disappeared.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members