Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud/Scams

fireflyscrafts
Debbie A Member Since: Jan 25, 2017
1 of 16

Hi!

I am needing assistance as I am getting repeated job offers that are scams and fradulent.  I was taken for over $2,000.00 from one such company.  I've been asked to print checks and send them via Priority Mail, I've been asked to purchase Wal-Mart gift cards and then give them a picture of the card and pin.  The job that scammed me out of $2,000 sent me a check and then had me cash it and then send money via western union to a person.  4 days later that check came back from my bank as fradulent and the bank is holding me responsible for the funds.  I'm alert and aware now and admit I was naive and stupid, but these people are smart and I want to prevent anyone else from making the same mistakes I made.  I also want to know if Upworks can do anything on their end to help stop these people, as each interview as almost the EXACT same wording and strategy and outline they follow? 

Thank you for listening!

Not sure about Upworks.....

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 16

Hi Debbie,

It's aganst Upwork ToS to offer and accept payments outside of Upwork. Always make sure that you have an active contract under your My Jobs tab and all the payments are made via that contract and you'll be able to avoid most of scams and questionable jobs.

Please, see this post for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 16

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Debbie,

It's aganst Upwork ToS to offer and accept payments outside of Upwork.

Actually, 24 months after first being hired by a client, a freelancer is permitted to accept payment outside Upwork from that client, but that's not applicable for new freelancers who either don't read the relevant section of the ToS or don't understand it, as is obvious from the daily community posts from new freelancers who are offered such payments and have to ask the community if the job offer is legitimate. So it may be redundant, but maybe Upwork should send an email to every new freelancer that states payment outside of Upwork, by way of check, western union, paypal, etc is a violation of ToS punishable by account terminatiion AND the freelancer will not get one penny of payment from the client.

Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 16

I reiterate, for the thousandth time, that all new freelancers should have to pass a test on how Upwork works before they are allowed to bid on any projects...

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 16

John,

I haven't clarified the part about the non-exclusivity period on this thread because I was replying to Debbie, who is a new freelancer on Upwork and doesn't have any clients on Upwork she's worked with for more than 2 years.

We are considering doing more to remind users about Upwork policies. A few initiatives have already been pushed. One of them is the pop ups in the Messages reminding users not to take payment outside of Upwork.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 16

@Debbie A wrote:

Hi!

I am needing assistance as I am getting repeated job offers that are scams and fradulent.  I was taken for over $2,000.00 from one such company.  I've been asked to print checks and send them via Priority Mail, I've been asked to purchase Wal-Mart gift cards and then give them a picture of the card and pin.  The job that scammed me out of $2,000 sent me a check and then had me cash it and then send money via western union to a person.  4 days later that check came back from my bank as fradulent and the bank is holding me responsible for the funds.  I'm alert and aware now and admit I was naive and stupid, but these people are smart and I want to prevent anyone else from making the same mistakes I made.  I also want to know if Upworks can do anything on their end to help stop these people, as each interview as almost the EXACT same wording and strategy and outline they follow? 

Thank you for listening!

Not sure about Upworks.....

Debbie, This happens to all freelancer who are so quick to jump in here and make tons of money and don't take the time to read the TOS, or forums to learn what to look out for, the procedures and the do's and don'ts of this site.

Freelancers need to understand that they are dealing with STRANGERS --- WORLDWIDE. They need to know that this site is open to everyone who has an internet connection. On site such as that, including this site, you are going to get just about every scammer around. And they are going to use every trick in the book.

They prey on new freelancers because the majority of them like you, don't take the time to get acquanted.

Printing checs is NOT done by a stranger on the internet. To print checks yoiu need special ink, That ink is very expensive. If I'm not mistaken, you may need a special printer too, that handles that type of ink. These checks are fraudgulent. I don't want to scare you, but since you printed them, you may be invovled in a fraud sceme.  In fact, if you think about it, some freelancer, like youself printed those checks and you've been mailed one of them.

Accepting a check off this site, can get your account suspended. That has been discussed here ... I can't tell you how many times.

PLEASE take the time before looking and applying for other jobs, or accepting invitations, to read about the scams here, because if you don't know them, you WILL get scammed again.

Upwork Does take action against these scammers, but you need to report them to Upwork. It's hard to stop them because as long as new freelancers keep falling for these scams over and over again, the scammers will keep scamming. As quickly as a scam job is taken down, another one opens, These scammers have 50 or more different email accounts and they just register again with a different email address.

cynthia_anderson
Cynthia A Member Since: Jan 25, 2017
7 of 16

I have had this happen in the past.  I have had a couple of people try to contact me and want to interview me away from Upwork but I didn't do it.  I don't understand why these people do this.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 16

"I don't understand why these people do this"

Because obviously, there are people who fall for it.

c_clover
Ace Contributor
Christine C Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
9 of 16

Because they can.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
10 of 16

@Debbie A wrote:

The job that scammed me out of $2,000 sent me a check and then had me cash it and then send money via western union to a person. 

Aside from it being an obvious scam that's been going on for as long as I can remember... the main question for me would be "why don't you just send the $2,000 directly to this person via Western Union? Or send them a check and get them to cash it?

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS