🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraud and Phishing
Page options
0331ebf1
Community Member

Fraud and Phishing

The add asked for proofreaders for a blog regarding music and tech. When I was contaced by the client, he said he worked for **Edited for Community Guidelines**. The writing of his emails and the questionnaire I had to fill out were in broken English. Furthermore, I was talking with someone via Skype who said his name was **Edited for Community Guidelines** but the email I received was from someone names **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Neither of them work for that school district. I checked. Additionally, the job was not for blogs for tech, they simply said it was for a "45,000 word." And that was it. No other description. They were quick to ask for my basic info (name address phone, stuff you can find on Google) but wanted to send me to their accounting department to set up my contract. I asked about pay, and he was unclear on that as well. He said accounting would be messaging me to get information for pay. I thought it was done through Upwork. I ended the conversation. 

1 REPLY 1
AndreaG

Hi Angie,

I'm sorry to hear you encountered suspicious activity such as this, I checked and can confirm appropriate action was taken against both the job post and the client's account due to TOS violations. We take great measures to keep our marketplace safe, and we’re committed to doing our best to prevent or address suspicious activity.

Please know taking communications off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. You can check out this help article for more information on Staying Safe on Upwork.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths