🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraud and Threaten by Client
Page options
c4854fc2
Community Member

Fraud and Threaten by Client

Hi Team

I have just joined Upwork and looking for good work. I got opportunity in one unfortunate project client name Philip Grey.

I am sharing the details of everything.

I have completed the work. And asked for the payment. He said I am from other country and there are some charges for transfer that I have to pay. Unfortunately I got into trap and again he asked money. And threaten to my career and personal information.

Screenshot attached 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

10 REPLIES 10
spectralua
Community Member

Did you chatted telegram without contract?

Yes like he was pushing like first message then contract 

dataextract
Community Member

You've violated the ToS of Upwork by contacting outside Upwork. It is a serious violation.

It is  a well known scam and if you havent sent the money as asked, then you are lucky.

Why would I pay for work it's sounds really wierd. Just want to bring up as it's a complete fraud.

decec042
Community Member

Philip Gray from Ireland and he wanted you to contact @**Edited for Community Guidelines** ? I think he is here again.

c4a28904
Community Member

Hi! This profile had the payment verified? I just got a message from someone I have to contact through Telegram. I'm getting a little bit suspicious but the profile said that they had the payment verified so I don't know what to believe...

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Communicating outside Upwork before having a contract on Upwork (in your active contracts) is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service and can get your account suspended. You can review the Terms of Service at the bottom of this page and the Academy ressources at the top of this page to use Upwork properly.

Hello Lorena,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I understand that you received a request from a client to bring your communication through telegram. As Sophie already shared, please note that communication outside Upwork before a contract starts is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

Additionally, I encourage you to check the available learning path in the Academy section. You may also want to read up on this Community article and these articles for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~Ivy
Upwork

Is there any way to report this kind of case? Clearly they are pretending to be a serious company and also claim to have “verified payment”. I would like to report them

You can use this feature to report. Report suspicious user activity – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Keep in mind that scammers always pretend to be serious companies and can even use legitimate company names. If they do not follow the Terms of Service, this is a big red flag. To be able to know the difference, it is very important to know the rules to stay safe and to avoid being suspended.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members