cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud job postings

sandybworks4u
Sandy B Member Since: Aug 27, 2016
1 of 10

I'm pretty new to Upwork, but I'm not stupid.  After to applying for 2 differant jobs and being accepted, I got smarter.

RED FLAGS

Let's start with NO ONE and I mean NO ONE needs 11, 15, 50, or even 80 people to do their payroll. Watch for this.

Watch the time zone, they may say United States, but their clock, on the left of offer, is WAY off from US time zones.

Don't bother googling their company, if offered. They are ligit companys, just not theirs.

If they need "A" admintrative asst. or VA, and are wanting to hire 10. WARNING.

English grammer is off.

I have been flagging every one of these I see. If I'm wrong fine, but better safe than sorry. If you find them, flag them.

Let Upwork see if they are real or not.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 10

I bet Upwork could auto-remove the payroll jobs looking for 90 freelancers and friendly fire would be close to 0 casualties.

sandybworks4u
Sandy B Member Since: Aug 27, 2016
3 of 10

If they could, I wish they would. I have wasted a lot of time on this. But I don't want any one else to get hurt.

lysis10
Community Guru
4 of 10

I would go so far as to say any job that is listed for 99 freelancers is fraud and could be auto removed with little friendly fire.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 10

@Jennifer M wrote:

I would go so far as to say any job that is listed for 99 freelancers is fraud and could be auto removed with little friendly fire.

I think that's probably true, but not necessarily universally. I've worked in two different positions where I hired between 15 and 30 freelancers for individual projects. 

In the 30 freelancer job, we were under a huge time crunch and I could have used several more if I'd been able to find qualified people.

lysis10
Community Guru
6 of 10

15-30 is a big difference than 99. When I worked with Udemy, they had a team of 25 writers, so yeah as far as writing goes I know some companies hire en masse to push out content.

But 99? Nah.

tlsanders
Community Guru
7 of 10

You're probably right. I'm just stuck on "can't entirely rule it out". For example, a marketing company I worked for once created websites for each of five different services for every city in the U.S. that had a population larger than (100,000?) The net total was somewhere in excess of 7,000 pages of unique content. Completing the project with a low-double-digit number of freelancers took months, but if we'd been in a hurry, 100 freelancers would have allowed us to finish in 4-6 weeks.

That said, I agree that it's a big red flag. I'm just super wary of always/never statements. Side effect of having taught logic, probably.

lysis10
Community Guru
8 of 10

I qualified it with "little friendly fire." Didn't say "no friendly fire at all."

tlsanders
Community Guru
9 of 10

Good point.

My OCD is receding.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
10 of 10

I have a question.  Is it realistic to think that any payroll jobs on an online forum are legitimate?  I mean, I don't think I would trust someone, possibly in other hemisphere, to handle that very sensitive information.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS