🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fraud on upwor for indian freelancer
Page options
chauhan2013
Community Member

Fraud on upwor for indian freelancer

Recently I was a victim of a fraud client, I am awaring you all freelancers. 

I got a project awardded and client names **Edited for Community Guidelines**, He managed to convince he pay me $2000 and I need to pay $1450 on Indian UPI number and rest is my commison. I was thinked it's okay If i get money in my upwork account then I can send. 

He awarded project and released $2000 on upwork account. I was sent money from my indian bank account. I was sent $1450 as the promised. 

Upwork hold the amount. next day i got email from Upwork that this is fraudelent activity and we are returning the amount to the client. Here Upwork is also not supportive, If a client paid amount so how can Upwork refund without my premission. 

I lost money from my bank a as well as Upwork account. 

Please be aware all freelancer, do not be a victim of this type of projects on Upwork.

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Aman Kumar C wrote: He managed to convince he pay me $2000 and I need to pay $1450 on Indian UPI number and rest is my commison. I was thinked it's okay If i get money in my upwork account then I can send. 

This could no have been any more obviously a scam if it had jumped up and down, waving red flags and screaming "I am a scam" at the top of its voice... Why in the universe would anyone ever pay you $2000 of real, legal money for $1450? **Edited for Community Guidelines**

In future, do not violate Upwork's Terms of Service by communicating with prospective clients outside the platform and by sending money to prospective clients outside the platform. That way you'll be safe from almost all the scams and you will also not have your Upwork account terminated for violating the Terms of Service.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I lost money from my bank a as well as Upwork account. 

Technically, this is not true. There was never money in your upwork account because the client's credit card couldn't be charged, likely because it was stolen. 

759e32fa

Hi Aman,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Our team invests heavily to ensure a safe and trusted environment for the community. If we find a compelling evidence of fraudulent activity by a client you’re working with, we're bound to take action to protect you and other freelancers.

Kindly refer to this ticket for more details.

Here are also some helpful articles that you may want to read to protect yourself moving forward:

Terms of Service
Staying Safe on Upwork

~ AJ
Upwork
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Aman, you could have been more careful but what has happened cannot be undone now. Such scams have been reported by others as well. 

Recovering the funds may not be possible, but you should definitely report this incident to the Cyber Crime Cell, as UPI frauds are very common in India and cyber crime cell may be able to help you. 

Best wishes! 

shekharbhujbal
Community Member

To all my fellow freelancers, I've recently got offer from such client and accepted it, job description was that he needed help with UI/UX design for his app but he rather sent me $2360 bonus and asked me to pay to his UPI from my own bank accounts, I have instantly reported this to UpWork Support, ended that contract and blocked that suspicious client and support team have guided me not to deal with clients request. Neither immidiately approve their refund request as it may debit amount directly from your UpWork account as their bonus was still pending. Be alert and don't get into trap with such people, if something smells fishy, instantly report it to UpWork support team, so that together we can help to create UpWork safe platform for everyone.

Stay safe,

Thanks!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Chandrashekhar,

I'm really sorry to hear about this unpleasant experience you had with a client. I can see that you've been assisted accordingly by one of the Support team members. In addition to that, I will have your report further reviewed by the relevant team so that they can take appropriate action if necessary. We truly appreciate your patience and cooperation. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members