cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud or not?

Highlighted
Balazs F Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 18

Please, could someone clarify the company **edited for Community Guidelines**? Does anyone worked with them ?

After delaying my payment months after months (non oDesk) I suspect a fraud behind them. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 18

Hi Balazs,

Please, make sure you have an active contract with a client in order to be paid through the platform.

Also, note that we had to edit your comment according to the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 18

re: "Please, could someone clarify the company [client company name]... After delaying my payment months after months (non oDesk) I suspect a fraud behind them."

Balzas,

You either
A) are seriously unaware of how oDesk works
or
B) hilariously mis-typed a word and failed to notice due to you relatively weak English skills.

Let us consider both.

If you meant to say "on oDesk" but you typed "non oDesk", then you made a monumental typing mistake which completely changes the meaning of your post. If this is the case, the YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND how oDesk works.

On oDesk, you are supposed to do some work, and then a client pays you money.

An experienced contractor who knows how oDesk works does NOT go for "months after months" without getting paid. Unless you, the contractor are not working or are not turning in work. If you are doing hourly work you get paid every week. If you are doing fixed rate contracts then you SHOULD set things up so that the contracts or milestones are small enough that you get paid every week.

If you have gone for months without getting paid then you need to spend a lot of time reading oDesk help documents and oDesk community forum posts, because you do NOT know how to use oDesk properly.

And, in case you're wondering, there is little chance that you will be paid ever by any client who strings you along for months without paying you. An honest client will notice if a newbie or ignorant contractor is using the system incorrectly and will tell them how to do things correctly so they can get paid for their work.

Now, let us consider the other possibility... That you meant what you said when you said your client has for months delayed your non-oDesk payment. This means that YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW ODESK WORKS.

There are no non-oDesk payments on oDesk!

That is like their number one rule. No. Payments. Outside. Odesk. Period.

Don't even think about it. If your mom sends you a $5.00 gift card for your birthday, don't even mention it here. Don't open the envelope from your mom in the same room in which you log onto oDesk.

This is serious. If you work for a company or client you met through oDesk, then all payments go through oDesk.

Even for expenses. If your client says that they want you to bake a cake with their logo on it, and they are willing to pay for the expenses, then they may do so separately, as an expense item, paid through oDesk, and, yes, there will be a ten percent fee taken out of their payment before it gets to you, so if you need to be paid the full amount, then ask for enough to cover the expenses plus the fee.

If you do not do this, if you get paid in any way outside of the oDesk interface, then, yes there is fraud going on. It is fraud committed by you against oDesk, and a violation of this policy typically means immediate and permanent suspension from oDesk.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 18

Balazs F - I furst have to ask was this an hourly job or a fixed price job?

Assuming it was hourly, IF you used the time tracker and enterned in your hours, then you should get paid every week. If the client skips paying you or something is wrong with their account then you would be notified accordingly and told to stop working (by Upwork) until things are straightened out  And if you didn't use time tracker and continued to work, month after month, don't expect to get paid.

Assuming it was a fixed price job. IF escrow was funded either for the entire job or for each milestone as they came up, then if the client doesn't release the funds, they will release automatically after x amount of time. As long as there are funds in escrow, you should be ok But if you started working But if escrow wasn't funded, don't expect to be paid.

I don't understand why anyone would work for months and months without geting some type of payment, either a percentage upfront and/or certain amounts that were set up for milestones. I wouldn't do that in a bricks and mortor business establishment and I certainly wouldn't do it as a freelancer on a virtual site.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 18

OPs post was from February....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 18

Yes but his reply to Preston was 4 hours ago.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
7 of 18

Hence the reason he has not been paid for months and months. 

Two words for B.: Follow through.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 18

Hi All,

Note that a few comments have been removed from this thread. Please, make sure you keep the discussion professional and treat other participants with respect.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Balazs F Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 18

Hello,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the ill-mannered, disrespectful remark (which has been deleted) that I have made on Preston's comment. I was being rash using my words because I felt - erroneously - his comment degrading, lecturing and arrogant. Some of you pointed out the faulty in my remark and I am grateful for that.

Now about the client the story goes like that:

Applied to the aformentioned (afore-deleted) client's project in December (Prologue: I registered to Odesk in October 2014 - so you can still call me a toddler).

Client asked me for e-mail address, sent me a contract which I signed.

Certainly I checked the company thorough (googling, forums, LinkedIn etc.). All nice and clean, US registered.

Client sent me huge chunk of translation project at the end of December. "Hmmm, I am relatively new, the compensation is relatively decent so okay, let's do it" - said the void)

I spent the whole Christmas / New Year to prepare the file before deadline 2nd of January.

Ok, done, sent. Payment 15th of January. Ok.

Mail comes on 15th: heyy, we postponed your payment to 15th of February. Sounds fishy, let's check the West Jordan, Utah registered company. Still legit, but let's ask few groups (here, LinkedIn forums, fb).

Mail comes again, new payment deadline 15th of March. Alarm bell rings.

After that I sent countless mails asking for explanation. No answer. Added their CEO on LinkedIn (who for some miraculuos reason accepted the request). Still no money, no answer.

I started looking for folks in the same shoes and apparently I found few. Kept trolling them on YouTube, LinkedIn and where I found online trace of the company (Ok, shame on me). Went on for 2-3 months.

And alas, in May or June out of the blue, they paypaled me the money.

The End.

Lovely new age Aesop fable with the conclusion: Yes Preston, you are right. I learned my lesson. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 18

@Balazs F wrote:

(...) 

Lovely new age Aesop fable with the conclusion: Yes Preston, you are right. I learned my lesson. Smiley Happy

Since you accepted to be paid off-platform, I hope Upwork won't give you what for.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS