cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

cox-frances
Frances C Member Since: Jul 20, 2016
1 of 7

There is a company listed called **Edited for Community Guidelines** The guy's name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. It is an all out scam. They got me for over **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Now I am broke and owe my bank $2300.00. I would love to get my money back. I am a single 60 year old disabled woman, just looking for a pt job online,

I have all the proof that is needed to prosecute!

impactwebdesign
Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 7

Since they will probably try the same scam using different names can you describe in detail how they scammed you so other freelancers can be aware of it? What line did they use? Did they ask you to send money to them or did they get you to do "trial" work? Did they ask you to do work and then not pay you? Did they ask you to buy software needed to do their job? Did they send you money asking you to forward it to someone else?

these are all signs of typical scams.

Did you report this company and/or project to Upwork?

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
3 of 7

It would be like prosecuting a ghost.  No sense wasting your time on that.

Two major mistakes occurred here.  The first was accepting payment off the Upwork platform.  The second mistake was starting work without an active contract in your "My Jobs" section.  If you make sure to avoid ever doing those two things, you'll be much less likely to be scammed.

There is a wealth of information on this site that provides you with the tools you need to work successfully and safely. You really should take the time to read and digest everything before apply for any work here.  

Finally, I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but please do not use your age as a disclaimer.  There are many of us here who are close to, or well within that age group and have managed to avoid losing our shirts to scammers.  It is up to each of us to educate ourselves, ensuring success and safety in an online workplace.

phuongdo
Ace Contributor
Phuong D Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
4 of 7

Sorry to hear that but if the transactions were not thru upwork, then they will not be able to help you at all.

gnakeur
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
5 of 7

I see no job history on your profile, so probably you were agree to accept payment outside of upwork which in turn is a violation of TOS. They probably sent you a check, haven't they? 

Wow 4000$! Just from one person! What was the schema of that scam? It will be useful for others if you describe how you got scammed.

You can forget about your money. Better read help section of upwork. If a client suggests you to pay outside upwork it is a scam. If you are suggested to pay to get a job it is a scam. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

You can not prosecute. You can not get your money back. Learn from your mistakes and put this behind you.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Frances,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with your client. I see you communicated with your client off the platform, so please take screenshots of your communication and share it with Customer Support, along with other information you have regarding this case. Our team will review the evidence and advise on the further steps.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS