cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

jbmelton
Jake M Member Since: Aug 31, 2016
1 of 13

If you see a user that tells you to email **Edited for Community Guidelines** avoid wasting your time. This user has you write a ton of work, assuring payment, etc. Obviously, he does not follow that and scams you out of your work. Just a huge warning. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 13

mail.ru? Nobody uses that domain except for spammers and scammers. That's the giveaway.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 13

@Jake M wrote:

If you see a user that tells you to email **Edited for Community Guidelines** avoid wasting your time. This user has you write a ton of work, assuring payment, etc. Obviously, he does not follow that and scams you out of your work. Just a huge warning. 

Lesson learned. If you want to make any kind of money as a freelancer on Upwork, you do not work for "assurances of payment". You set your terms and the client sets the contract up through Upwork (mandatory), on an hourly or fixed-rate basis. On the latter, you should not start working until the agreed amount has been paid into escrow.

Circumvention is against Upwork's ToS (Terms of Service) and you risk having your account suspended.

jbmelton
Jake M Member Since: Aug 31, 2016
4 of 13

I was scammed out of $640 for a hirer named **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Their skype is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. don't let them get you like they got me!

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 13

Jake - Exactly how were you scammed. Did you pay that amount to the client for equipment or software that they said you needed for the job? Did they said they would send you a check and after cashing it and sending the "extra" money somewhere, did you have to pay back that amount to the bank because the check was bad? Or did you do that much work and send it to the client without escrow being funded and now the client has your work and has disappeared?

All of the above are well known scams. And by reading Upwork's TOS, or even coming on here and reading some posts you would have known about this. If the above is not what happened, can you be a little more specific as to how you got scammed?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 13

Again?

How were you supposed to be paid by them?

Frankly it's actually very difficult to be scammed even once when sticking to the Terms of Service here, let alone twice in a row.

ahammed_farid
Community Guru
Farid Ahammed B Member Since: May 30, 2016
7 of 13

I feel sorry for you, I got same proposal few month before like they got scam by freelancer and now they want freelancer who will send them money for software and others issue, 

I ignored them

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 13

@Elvira M wrote:

Hi Jake,

So somehow you managed to "loose" so much money in 3 days you started a profile on Upwork?

In only 3 days, how can someone owe you over 600 bucks?

Elvira, he registered on the FORUM 3 days ago, not on the platform. Had you bothered to look you would have seen that your wild accusations are nonsense, as he has feedback from prior to September.

e_mac
Elvira M Member Since: May 20, 2016
9 of 13

Jake, if you worked for another client than the article writing you did...

Seems you had no other offers than that.

If you tried working with a client outside of Upwork it is against the policy.

If we examine your profile...

You only had one job here and you got paid 15 for writing an article.

So now I knid of wonder how do you collect 600 bucks with only one small 15 USD project on Upwork anyhow?

The work you did for Triumph Mag did not seem so complicated.

Are you trying to cover up an ugly lie now?

amozolee
Angela W Member Since: Sep 16, 2016
10 of 13

Thank you for posting this . I was in the middle of writing a final article for **Edited for Community Guidelines** when I noticed lackadaisical attitude about payment. I did not submit my final article after i found this information. I was really hoping to have a good report butI have not been paid or contacted. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS