cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

Filip B Member Since: Feb 21, 2019
1 of 7

Hello. I've just got a proposal for a job where I need 2 laptops and 2 carriers. I don't know whether I can trust him with this. Do you think this is kind of strange or should I buy the sim card at the store. I think it's bizarre that the client wants me to buy an extra sim card and share the details with him. This is my first time on upwork so I don't know how this really works and if I can trust this person.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Filip B wrote:

Hello. I've just got a proposal for a job where I need 2 laptops and 2 carriers. I don't know whether I can trust him with this. Do you think this is kind of strange or should I buy the sim card at the store. I think it's bizarre that the client wants me to buy an extra sim card and share the details with him. This is my first time on upwork so I don't know how this really works and if I can trust this person.

You can't trust him. Report the client and have absolutely nothing to do with him. As you are new, report any job like this and remember, there is no such thing as a free lunch. So if someone offers you an unlikely set of perks, wants to send you a check or any equipment. It's a big no-no. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 7

I don't know why you think this is a "fraud." Maybe he just wants to hire somebody to test something.

If you DON'T already have the equipment or services needed, and if the client is not offering to buy the things you need, then I'd say it's a good idea to NOT get involved.

If you ALREADY have the equipment and services needed, then you may indeed be the right person to take on this job and earn money from it.

If the client is going to send you the equipment and services, without you paying anything, then there's not much risk, is there?

If the client is going to PAY YOU UP FRONT for any additional services and equipment you need, then there's not much risk to you, right?

But if YOU (the freelancer) are (as you say) a FIRST TIME freelancer with no Upwork experience, you should probably just move on. This is too complex and unusual for you to deal with. You could end up getting scammed.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 7

Filip,

Before you start bidding on any jobs (or accepting invitations), you should read this thread: 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

and in particular: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs.

Don't accept any work before you have an Upwork contract in place, either for an hourly job with the tracker turned on, or fixed-rate with the fee agreed funded in escrow. You can find these options on the help pages. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 7

Filip B wrote:

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

Aubrie E Member Since: Jun 6, 2019
6 of 7

Thank you for this graphic.  I am new and just had my first "interview" through Hangouts.  i thought perhaps it would be a video interview, which seems okay but a bit odd that the company didn't have special software for video interviews.  During the "interview" there was something I didn't understand about the HR manager's work history (and first I didn't know why that was relevent to the job anyway), so I google some of the words and found the same history verbatim on an Upwork profile.  So, I came here and searched fraud and this thread popped up!  

I am now going to spend time looking at the getting started and tips links!

Thanks!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

Aubrie: Congratulations on not falling for their dumb scam. You did well.

For any other Upwork newbies reading this:

Invite to interview through Hangouts: Always a scam.

Meet with HR manager: Always a scam

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS