🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraud
Page options
dawnparr
Community Member

Fraud

Please be aware of anyone that first of all wants to talk via google hang outs. Second if they approach saying they are from **Edited for community guidelines** its a scam. I played along to get more info out of them and reported it to the FTC.

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Dawn P wrote:
Please be aware of anyone that first of all wants to talk via google hang outs. Second if they approach saying they are from Exxxxxxxxr its a scam. I played along to get more info out of them and reported it to the FTC.

They are in a nice warm country waaay beyond the FTCs reach and there are 1000s of them all over the Internet.

"Playing along to get info" got you nothing at all.

It's one of the oldest, dumbest scams on the net. Just flag the job post as inappropriate and move n.

florydev
Community Member

What's the scam?

petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

What's the scam?

The ancient and dumb as hell "we send you a (fake) check and you are dumb enough to send us real money." scam.

florydev
Community Member

Wait, you are going to send me a check?  Where do I sign up!

I was hoping for something more interesting than **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

kat303
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Wait, you are going to send me a check?  Where do I sign up!

I was hoping for something more interesting than **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

The checks are only for a few hundreds, BUT, the **Edited for Community Guidelines** are worth MILLIONS. 

Basically they try to "hire you" through their company. Send you a fake check to buy equipment and then send them the money back through various accounts pretending to be vendors. Then youve sent the money and the check bounces. So youre screwed. I got as much detail as i could with out giving my personal information.
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Dawn P., 

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the community.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

One reports this to Upwork.

Not the FTC. And not to anyone else.

Only to Upwork.

Upwork will terminate their accounts. Nobody else is going to do anything about it.

I flaged it here as well. I just felt like i needed to do something so yes i think its right to report the fraud in as many places as i can to help others out there. It doesnt matter where they are i would still report it to government agencies. Maybe nothing will come of it, but id rather try.

While i was doing some reseach i saw similar accounts with the same phrases they used. Upwork should have something in place to scan those type of accounts.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths