🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraudulent Client Activity
Page options
5ace6388
Community Member

Fraudulent Client Activity

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem that needs to be addressed so this client is unable to continue his fraudulent activity on this platform. The job posting was removed while I was in the interviewing process. Ultimately, I was hired for the job but something just wasn't sitting well with me about it.

They had me do a skills test, answer written questions, and sent me an employment agreement to sign. On the surface everything seemed legitimate. This morning I entered a meeting via skype and the client sent me a copy of a check for a few thousand dollars and wanted me to make a mobile deposit to my bank account. I downloaded it and sent the copy to my email, saved it and refused the job. Now I am here trying to get this client removed before someone falls into this trap.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Bradley F wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem that needs to be addressed so this client is unable to continue his fraudulent activity on this platform. The job posting was removed while I was in the interviewing process. Ultimately, I was hired for the job but something just wasn't sitting well with me about it.

They had me do a skills test, answer written questions, and sent me an employment agreement to sign. On the surface everything seemed legitimate. This morning I entered a meeting via skype and the client sent me a copy of a check for a few thousand dollars and wanted me to make a mobile deposit to my bank account. I downloaded it and sent the copy to my email, saved it and refused the job. Now I am here trying to get this client removed before someone falls into this trap.

First thing you do is flag the job posting, if it is still active, so it will be taken down. 

Red flags: long interview process, job being taken down (either by upwork for violation of ToS or by the client who is well aware that his job post will be taken down soon), an offering of employment (this is freelancing, not full-time employment), any requests of personal data. If you stay alert, you will have a chuckle when they send the inevitable check, but will not fall for this well-worn scam. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bradley,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report. I'll be sure to escalate it accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
5ace6388
Community Member

When I try to PM it says I don't have sufficient privelages. What is this?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bradley,

I just sent you a PM, please follow up on that message with more information regarding your report.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Bradley F wrote:

Hello Everyone,

First thing you do is flag the job posting, if it is still active, so it will be taken down. 

Red flags: long interview process, job being taken down (either by upwork for violation of ToS or by the client who is well aware that his job post will be taken down soon), an offering of employment (this is freelancing, not full-time employment), any requests of personal data. If you stay alert, you will have a chuckle when they send the inevitable check, but will not fall for this well-worn scam. 

Just had exact same experience. Frustrating this appears to continue to happen.

It's a years old scam.  Anything that involves receiving payment of any kind off the platform, for supplies or anything else, is a scam.  Just flag the job post if it's still up and move on.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths