🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraudulent Employer/User
Page options
missmich44
Community Member

Fraudulent Employer/User

Hello- I just wanted to inform everyone that user**Edited for community guidelines**who is looking for a virtual assistant is a fraud. He tried to get me to create an Upwork account for a colleague of his and then sent me a fraudulent check to purchase equipment. When I received the check via email I was instructed to print out the front and back and then deposit through my mobile banking app and then show them confirmation that I had done so. Upon looking at the check I could already tell it was fake, I took it to the bank just to make sure and they said "definitely do not deposit this". I am so tired of being scammed. Does anyone know how I can report this so his account gets blocked? 

13 REPLIES 13
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

You can just flag the job post, which is probably gone by now anyway. Please be aware that agreeing to accept a check, fake or not, is a serious violation of the Terms of Service.  Stop and think - who would send a check to a stranger on the internet.

Before you get into more trouble, please read and familiarize yourself with the Terms of Service.

I didn't agree to accept a check.

Tiffani H wrote:

Giving a client your email address - or any other contact information - prior to being hired is also against the terms of service. The fake cheque scammers always insist on "interviewing" you off the platform; if you refuse to give out your contact information, then you can avoid being sent any more fake cheques.

You also can't name names in the forum, because you've definitely just accused an innocent person. Scammers never use their own names, obviously; they claim to be employees from real companies that they find on Linked In.

I appreciate everyone's feedback however no one seems to be concerned that I'm the victim of fraud here. You're assuming and accusing me of a bunch of stuff I was unaware of. I have spoken to a customer service representative on the phone who has explained everything to me so I know for next time as this is my first time using upwork. I gave the users name to warn others so the same thing doesn't happen to someone else. His name could be fake for all I know.

Try compassion next time.

Tiffani H wrote:
I appreciate everyone's feedback however no one seems to be concerned that I'm the victim of fraud here. You're assuming and accusing me of a bunch of stuff I was unaware of. I have spoken to a customer service representative on the phone who has explained everything to me so I know for next time as this is my first time using upwork. I gave the users name to warn others so the same thing doesn't happen to someone else. His name could be fake for all I know.

Try compassion next time.

We have plenty of compassion for you, but you've essentially volunteered to be a victim by not reading the TOS on how to use this site before jumping in and starting to accept "interview".  You clearly haven't read up on how to use Upwork safely, which would give the appearance that you are fine making mistakes and learning from them (including the mistake of getting scammed), despite the consequences. 

"This is my first time using Upwork" is not an excuse for not knowing how. There are many resources for learning how to use Upwork safely. And you are not the first person, nor will you be the last, to skip over the learning part and just jump into thinking you will make lots of money. Smart business owners (which is what you are now) consider their decisions before acting and learn how to use their business tools (like Upwork) before damaging their businesses. 

Of course no one wants you to get scammed, AND you also need to take responsibility for your actions and yourself. You know the saying "ignorance of the law is not a defense"? You signed the TOS when you signed up. Saying "I didn't know" just means you were irresponsible. I'm not trying to be mean or unsympathetic. It sucks to be scammed. I have been scammed (not like this) in the past. The only thing I can do (and you can do) is figure out what I can actually do to prevent it and run my business better. We cannot stop the scammers. You cannot stop the scammers. But you can do your homework and learn how the platform you signed up for works so you are a savvy business woman. 

There are plenty of ways to stop scammers, doing background checks, payment verification, ID verification. Unfortunately this one slipped through the cracks. By posting this I am admitting that a mistake was made on my part but also holding each party accountable. I'm not volunteering to be a victim. When I took my dog for a walk the other day and was followed and verbally attacked by a woman who was also walking her dog was that me volunteering to be a victim? Was that my fault? Should I not walk my dog or leave the house?

Your responses and words and tone are not filled with compassion. I came here to ask a simple question and protect others not be attacked.
End of conversation, leave me alone.

Tiffani H wrote:
There are plenty of ways to stop scammers, doing background checks, payment verification, ID verification. Unfortunately this one slipped through the cracks. By posting this I am admitting that a mistake was made on my part but also holding each party accountable. I'm not volunteering to be a victim. When I took my dog for a walk the other day and was followed and verbally attacked by a woman who was also walking her dog was that me volunteering to be a victim? Was that my fault? Should I not walk my dog or leave the house?

Your responses and words and tone are not filled with compassion. I came here to ask a simple question and protect others not be attacked.

Your analogy of walking your dogs is irrelevant. When you walk your dogs, you aren't breaking any rules/guidelines/laws set in place for your own protection. You did do that here on Upwork. No one is attacking you. Everyone here has suggested you do more homework to protect yourself from getting scammed, including reading the TOS, which you agreed to when you joined but apparently failed to read, because there is only so much Upwork can do to protect, and there is essentially nothing they can do to protect you if you don't abide by their guidelines.  

Tiffani H wrote:

Upwork does not verify clients. It does not require that their payment method be verified. It does not verify their identities.

It is your responsibility to check if the client is a "good client", by his hiring history, by the interview you do with him (on Upwork) and by your own insight (this is increasing, I assure you).
Verification of the payment method is your business once you decide to work together. You just have to tell him that you will accept the contract once he verifies it. If he doesn't or gives you excuses, wait or don't accept the contract.

Working here without having read the TOS and help is your fault. You will meet many scammers and they have many ways to scam you, this is not the only one.
So you have to read, and among other things the forum, where people like those who have answered you (and you have rejected) give very good advice.

Joanne Marie (moderator) has answered you the same as the others; you have skipped the TOS both to connect outside of Upwork and to receive a check (it doesn't matter if she has cashed it or not or if it is fake or not).
But are there other bad people who only mess with you?
Your final answer to Amanda says that the only one who has been inconsiderate here is you, don't you think?

Tiffani H wrote:

THen why did you print it out and take it to the bank? 

Because I had a feeling it was fraud and I wanted that verified and I wanted to use that verification to report him.
JoanneP

Hi Tiffani,

Did you share your contact information with the client? Please know that it is not allowed to share your contact information or communicate outside of Upwork before a contract is placed. Once a contract is in place you may use any communication methods you choose. However, we find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these harmful behaviors decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent on Upwork do so by going off the platform. 

If you see a job that seems suspicious, you can report it to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Now see this is both a kind and helpful response. Thank you Joanne. 

Tiffani H wrote:

Now see this is both a kind and helpful response. Thank you Joanne. 

Joanne Marie is paid to be kind along with being helpful. The rest of us feel a moral obligation to offer help and clarification to fellow UW users but we aren't paid to do it sweetly -- not paid at all, actually. Sometimes we lose patience when someone claims to have been victimized in a situation they could have avoided entirely if they'd approached the platform in a responsible, business-like way. 

Scammers gonna scam and it's easy to learn to recognize and avoid them, in which case they don't trouble us in specific ways. However, having them continue to proliferate on the platform is an indirect drag on all of us who use it. And they proliferate because it's worth their while: new UW users plunge in without reviewing and understanding the ToS or how to use the platform safely and responsibly. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members