🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraudulent Job Postings...Forever!
Page options
williambernal
Community Member

Fraudulent Job Postings...Forever!

In Upwork's Terms of Use, there is a very specific definition-

"4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE

Fraudulent or misleading uses or content, including:

Spamming other Users with proposals or invitations or posting the same job multiple times so that more than one version remains active at a given time."

Currently in my niche (writing & translation) there are at least three clients who post identical jobs multiple times per day, EVERYDAY.

I cannot count the number of times I've personally flagged these fraudulent, spammy posts, and do not imagine I am alone in flagging them.

Of course, given the UW committment to maintaining a safe and thriving online workspace, these exact same jobs are reposted daily.

Over...and over...again.

Before our community gurus rush in with helpful advice to "just ignore them", "who cares", "not my problem", "not Upwork's job", please understand that this information is aimed at less experienced FLs who may not be as circumspect as they unfortunately need to be when spending their Connects.

As for UW's professional responsibilities, I do notice that they never drop the ball when it comes to taking their 20% cut upfront and off the top, and they're very responsible when it comes to collecting money for Connects.

We can only hope that some of that professional responsibility and commitment one day leaks into actually maintaining a safe an thriving online workspace.

Work smart, work safe!

2 REPLIES 2
r_satta
Community Member

Yeah, writing and translation is a mess.
Clients writing posts in their language instead of English, clients asking for 30k words translated and paying 7$, clients asking to do a free test beforehand, clients writing "Svedish to English translation" in the title and then "German to Svedish" in the description, clients with 99% hire rate but with 10 active job offers stating "last seen 12 years ago", clients posting the same job multiple times, and so on. 

Do you really think Upwork doesn't know about that? They just don't care. 
At first I was like you, they still annoy me nowadays but I just tend to skip them. Flagging posts doesn't even seem to work, I've been flagging non-stop for a year but the situation is still the same. 
We can't do much if Upwork doesn't care, sadly this is the best answer and support I can give you.

Yes.

And calling it "a mess" is very, very generous.

UW's level of commitment to "Help & Support" appears to be clear, and we are def on the wrong end of it.

Work smart, work safe!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members