🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fraudulent and fake jobs on Upwork
Page options
Community Member

Fraudulent and fake jobs on Upwork

Hi,

I am fresh on Upwork platform; I had more dreams about this platform before I started to be a freelancer. However, I am fault about this platform. Then, why?  I have read the specific rules regarding what I need to do in any contract with the client.

However, I have regretfully noticed that there are many fake jobs and fraudulent customers in the system. These malicious customers share their telegram address with a frelancer to communicate with them. This freelancer contacts to them in other platforms to learn the job details. Because everything seems normal and so far, there is not any stuff which can create a suspicious.  After, they then try to lure him into their web by promising big money.  And still the same job advertisements are periodically posted on this platform by the same people. They are constantly refreshing the same ads and thus trying to lure new people into the trap. But Upwork does not prevent this in any way. They don't have such a mechanism. Why are they checked and the same people are allowed to post ads all the time? An experienced freelancer might not fall for this. But a new young person might fall into this trap. Upwork should prevent this. They should develop algorithms that detect malicious people and make this platform safe.

Best

4 REPLIES 4
759e32fa

Hi Murat,

I understand the frustration but I'd like to assure you that our Trust & Safety team is aware of the problem and is taking it seriously. They are working to address the issues, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts. Feel free to check this post for and update from our Trust & Safety team and their efforts around addressing these issues.

~ AJ
Upwork
sajal36
Community Member

I will suggest any new comer starting on upwork to read the Upwork Term of Services (TOS). Follow thumb rule - Simply adhere to the Upwork TOS even if job post is high value. 

I believe following this simple principle will keep you safe.

tlsanders
Community Member

If everything seems normal so far when a freelancer is asked to contact the client through Telegram, that is because the freelancer did not bother to learn anything about how the platform works. It is against the rules to contact a client outside the platorm beore you have a contract. If you don't read the rules and don't read any of the tips on avoiding scams and don't visit the "New to Upwork" section of the forums to learn and don't use the Upwork Academy materials, you might indeed fall into this trap. But, that can only happen after you have done a great many things wrong yourself. 

As a freelancer, you are running an independent business, and it is your responsibility to learn how to do that safely.

celgins
Community Member

Everything Sajal said, and read through this from Wes C.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members