🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Fraudulent job still open
Page options
peruvianpro
Community Member

Fraudulent job still open

Hi,

I received an offer earlier today regarding the translation of a document. I was hired at my current hourly rate without any previous discussion (which is strange). Some minutes later I received this message:

"I can pay you 150 USD your projects payments with my extra commission . And I need my commission 150 USD paypa l or Payonee r . I need get income my company . and I m helping you get extra payments .
Here is steps
You need to accept first hourly offer
After I will send you bonus fixed offer
You got full payments and send back me my commission paypa l or payonee r. If you like my request ? we can continue long term"

I ended the contract and reported the project. Upwork sent me the following message:

"We have reviewed your report, and have investigated and taken action as it relates to our Terms of Service. No further action is required at this time."

However, the project is open and the client has already "hired" 6 translators. Two of them have billed $900 so far. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Why is Upwork not doing anything about it? I guess the client is using stolen credit cards or something similar to fund the projects.

3 REPLIES 3
imenetalk
Community Member

Hello Patricia,

The fact that the job is still open doesn't trouble me as much as the fact that you accepted a contract without previous discussion.

In my experience,  90% of those who will send you a contract right away (an offer) without even messaging you, tend to be scammers or people who aren't willing to give you any work.

Please, take it as a golden rule : never accept a contract if the client doesn't text you or call you before. Otherwise, you'll find yourself with a contract with 0 earnings and terrible consequences on your JSS and profile reputation.

"The fact that the job is still open doesn't trouble me as much as the fact that you accepted a contract without previous discussion."

LOL. Shoot the messenger!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll send this to the correct team for a review and appropriate action will be taken according to our internal processes. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths