cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Sample

mrgonz
Ace Contributor

Im guessin I'm not the first and definitely will not be the last one, I made a proposal to this client, and he starts his response saying how great is my work and all that sugarcoated thing that makes me suspicious about this offer, then he asks for a free sample ( I'm a graphic designer and illustrator) because he needs to know how I work on command ( uhmm okay) so I asked can it be a draft? so his response was, "I'm not sure what you mean about draft" and i was like..what? how? if you work with design, art or anything related you do have to know what a draft is, so long story short he says that if this means doing a sketch then he would advice me not to do that since he has  A LOT of illustrator working on proposals as well so..

I'm sorry but I'm not buying it, I have more than 7 years working in the field of design so everynow and then comes this "amazing opportunity" this seems like one of those, what are you thoughts about this, should I do it? my thougth process is, I believe this guy is making this "offer" to get free samples to sell to his costumers without paying, I said to him that i was going to use watermark, that if that was okay? let's see how he comes back.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Guru

@Luis G wrote:

Im guessin I'm not the first and definitely will not be the last one, I made a proposal to this client, and he starts his response saying how great is my work and all that sugarcoated thing that makes me suspicious about this offer, then he asks for a free sample

Asking for free samples is a violation of Upwork's terms of service.

Flag as "asking for free work"

There is a time and a place for investing some time to win a really juicy contract (as in: I would think about it for a contract worth several thousand Dollars) but in general, as a rule of thumb, if a client wants a sample they can set up a sample contract and jolly well pay for it 🙂

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS