🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Free Spec Work Dilemma
Page options
dgraphicsdj
Community Member

Free Spec Work Dilemma

I would like to know UpWorks official stance on clients asking Freelancers (Designer) to do free spec work, especially with illustration projects.

Often clients ask "I'd like for you to do a sample sketch of my character, so I can guage if we are a good match." This request is totally valid and fine. HOWEVER, I believe this should be paid. No designer or illustrator should be asked to do NEW work for free. That is why we have portfolios and why we can attached examples. This is no different than if a designer were to interview for a full-time in-house position. The company would not ask the designer to design new materials for them, as a "test". They review their portfolio and discuss their style & skills. 

So many young designers are eager to work and get hired, that they are willing to do this spec work for free because they don't know any better. But this puts the deisgners IP at risk. We design proofs or character sketches, for free, that can then be taken and given to another designer who will work for less. It has happened, and will continue to happen. And it's not fair if UpWork allows this to happen to freelancers. 

So I would love to hear the thoughts from UpWork. Are there rules against "free spec work" that clients should be made aware of more? Or is this a practice that UpWork is allowing from clients? 

Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4
m_terrazas
Community Member

It is against TOS for clients to ask for free work.

"Free work

All original work on the Upwork platform should be paid work. If you are pressured to create work without payment or secured funding, it is against our Terms of Service and you should flag it for our team"

Maria,

So perhaps UpWork could have a bigger disclaimer added, especially to Illustration projects, that ensure that clients are no asking for "sample illustrations" for free. Clients are asking multiple Freelancers to illustrate concept proofs of their characters so they can "choose the best one" for their books.

Many young designers don't know any better, and are so hungry for work that they'll do it. But it's not right, and for us more experienced designers and illustrators, it's frustrating to use Connects on projects that result in the client asking for free samples. 

Dustin W wrote:

Maria,

So perhaps UpWork could have a bigger disclaimer added, especially to Illustration projects, that ensure that clients are no asking for "sample illustrations" for free. Clients are asking multiple Freelancers to illustrate concept proofs of their characters so they can "choose the best one" for their books.

Many young designers don't know any better, and are so hungry for work that they'll do it. But it's not right, and for us more experienced designers and illustrators, it's frustrating to use Connects on projects that result in the client asking for free samples. 

All you have to do is use the "flag as inappropriate" link.

Hi Dustin,

Maria and Christine are right. You can report these jobs so our team can review and take appropriate actions. You can also send me a PM with the job post link, so I can report it to our team for review. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members