🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Free tests
Page options
michelejean
Community Member

Free tests

Hello

I am having issue with a client. The job she has posted is of higher value and obviously with the lack of work she has many proposals

However she is asking for free tests and putting illustrators in competition with each other.  Even showing each freelancer what they are up against. 

I would like to report her and find out exactly what will happen to this client? As a freelancer i get jss scoring decreases for everything, even disputes when clients do not pay or comply with the rules. 

How do i go about this?
7 REPLIES 7
colettelewis
Community Member

Michele L wrote:
Hello

I am having issue with a client. The job she has posted is of higher value and obviously with the lack of work she has many proposals

However she is asking for free tests and putting illustrators in competition with each other.  Even showing each freelancer what they are up against. 

I would like to report her and find out exactly what will happen to this client? As a freelancer i get jss scoring decreases for everything, even disputes when clients do not pay or comply with the rules. 

How do i go about this?

What the client is doing is against Upwork's ToS. If you are not actually working for this client and there is no formal contract in place, go to the job post and flag the job as inappropriate giving the reasons in the dropdown menu. Your JSS will not be affected, even if you have been communicating with the client. 

Do not agree to do free work. 

mtngigi
Community Member

So now we're allowing clients to run contests by pitting multiple freelancers against each other for free work?  When will Upwork start getting rid of these scammy clients? The freelancers participating also need to get a clue.

mtngigi
Community Member

Michele L wrote:
Hello

How do i go about this?

Unfortunately, probably nothing will happen to that client. Clients seem to get away with all sorts of bad behavior. Why is anybody's guess.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michele,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the job post you're reporting. I'll be sure to escalate it accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Unfortunatly upwork support has already replied telling me that i should be rest assured that they will do all necessary and "according to upwork policy".
I have it to good standing that the job was rewarded to another freelancer and that nothing happened to the client.....
This is completely unprofessional, scandalous to say the least.
As a freelancer i cant even create a dispute without being punished on my JSS.
Very dissapointed. AGAIN.

Michele L wrote:
Unfortunatly upwork support has already replied telling me that i should be rest assured that they will do all necessary and "according to upwork policy".
I have it to good standing that the job was rewarded to another freelancer and that nothing happened to the client.....

Chances are, Upwork told the client that asking for free work is not allowed. What did you expect?

Michele L wrote:
As a freelancer i cant even create a dispute without being punished on my JSS.

Disputes don't affect the JSS.  The outcome of the contract does.

again Petra, if you are not here to add please do not comment. **Edited for community guidelines**

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members