cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free trial?

Chanda G Member Since: Jul 19, 2019
1 of 20

I recently spent a lot of time with a potential client and he showed interest to hire me but asked me to first work on his campaigns for 2 weeks for free, so he can 'try me out'. Is this common? Why would I be on Upwork if I want to provide my services for free?

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
2 of 20

Yeah - he can "try you out" for 2 weeks, then try someone else for 2 weeks, and... well, you get the picture - free work unlimited...

just report him - flag the job post

3 of 20

Thank you, I didn't know you can flag a job.. I just did that.. 

Community Guru
Hieu T Member Since: Aug 11, 2017
4 of 20

Trial work/ or test is ok, but it should never take more than 1 hour to complete.

Hieu T

Vietnamese translator
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 20

re: "I recently spent a lot of time with a potential client and he showed interest to hire me but asked me to first work on his campaigns for 2 weeks for free, so he can 'try me out'. Is this common? Why would I be on Upwork if I want to provide my services for free?"

Chandra:

I can assure you that this "client" (realy: "scammer") has absolutely no intention of every paying you any money, no matter how well you do during the "free trial."

Hieu wrote: "Trial work/ or test is ok, but it should never take more than 1 hour to complete."

No. It is really NOT okay.

If a client asks for trial work or test work, it is a violation of Upwork ToS. Such a client should be reported.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
6 of 20

Yes, it's very common... It's very common to find these scammers. They especially target new workers, some even promise 5-star reviews. How shameless. Tell him your time is valuable and you can do a trial as long as he pays for it. You already "spent a lot of time" talking with him.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 20

Hieu T wrote:

Trial work/ or test is ok, but it should never take more than 1 hour to complete.

Nonsense

8 of 20

i know, right? this is what he actually said: "7-14 days won't take the whole of your time, moreover we want to believe that you already have a system in place"

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
9 of 20

Chanda G wrote:

i know, right? this is what he actually said: "7-14 days won't take the whole of your time, moreover we want to believe that you already have a system in place"

Yeah, the system I have in place is not working for free. Good system, btw!

Community Leader
william b Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
10 of 20

Hieu,

No, no...

NO!

Let's be clear-

Under no circumstances should any client request free work, nor should any freelancer provide free work.

I would call to your professional ATTENTION-

Upwork's TERMS OF USE: 4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE

• Requesting or demanding free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount

If a client requests a "Trial", simply reply- "I would be happy to provide xxx just as soon as we agree to Terms."

If a client requests a "sample", that is the exact purpose of your portfolio so simply direct their attention there.

If a client repeatedly makes such requests, simply remind them of the above ToS Rule.

Work smart, work safe!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS