Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free trial?

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
11 of 20

Hieu T wrote:

Trial work/ or test is ok, but it should never take more than 1 hour to complete.

Free work is never ok, it drags down the platform for everybody.

Jennifer D. D Member Since: Dec 2, 2017
12 of 20

Yes, from time to time, prospective clients make these requests. Usually, I explain that I can't absorb the business expenses of doing work without pay. But if I have a sample of my work that is not privileged, I do provide that. I also used to limit my free consulting, i.e., communications, to 30 minutes. So if I start going over 30 minutes on a call, or with messages back and forth to review items, I tell the prospective client that I may have to charge them. I remind myself that they are only a prospect until a contract is offered and accepted by me.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 20

Keep in mind that when we decline to work for free, that is good for us a freelancer.

But it is even better for the client.

We don't want to facilitate clients becoming bad people. We want to encourage them to do the right thing. Most people, if invited to do the right thing, in a polite and professional way, will do so.

Chanda G Member Since: Jul 19, 2019
14 of 20

I will try and follow the same. Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought his demands were wrong.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
15 of 20

Chandra, 

I like your profile and your initiative in asking this question!  I want to encourage you to persevere as I think you have something going there.  It can be hard to get that first project but I believe you will get there!

Good Luck!

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
16 of 20

What this client did isn't funny, truly ... but can we just talk about the sheer audacity of a client asking for two weeks of free work? If it were me, I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

Community Guru
17 of 20

Any freelancer who actually agrees to work for two weeks for free for a prospective client...

...does more harm to the Upwork platform than clients who ask for free work.

A waiter who let a patron eat at a restaurant for free for two weeks, while the patron "tries out the food," would definitely be fired.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
18 of 20

Virginia F wrote:

What this client did isn't funny, truly ... but can we just talk about the sheer audacity of a client asking for two weeks of free work? If it were me, I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

I see that it would be hard to squeeze 2 weeks of free work into your schedule. Do you have a vacation planned? You could do it then!

Community Guru
19 of 20

re: "I see that it would be hard to squeeze 2 weeks of free work into your schedule. Do you have a vacation planned? You could do it then!"

I might be willing to provide a client with two weeks of free work if that is when I take my two weeks paid vacation, at the client's expense.

Todd B Member Since: Aug 1, 2019
20 of 20

If a job has potential for me to earn over $200 or so, I offer to do about 30 minutes of work (editing or writing) as a sample of my work.  But sometimes potential clients want me to answer a bunch of questions about their work, which basically comes down to free advice.  When that happens too much I recommend that they hire me for consulting and let it go.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS