🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Free work. Contract issues. Protection is ill...
Page options
kotovroman
Community Member

Free work. Contract issues. Protection is illusion?

Hi, i'm here to ask what community think about my situation..

Just will place here my request text and upwork support answer.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Roman, you are correct: you did this work for free. I am sorry this happened.

On the plus side, all of the work belongs to you. You may put it into your portfolio or do whatever you want with it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Roman,

Please be mindful of our Community Guidelines when posting in our Community. Please keep in mind that posting private details publicly is not allowed. 

If you have any questions where private details are involved, feel free to reach out to me via PM. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

sorry, i thought i'm free to show my private details if i want. Can't message you via pm.

can i post here just text without names and contract ids?

Roman K wrote:

sorry, i thought i'm free to show my private details if i want. Can't message you via pm.

can i post here just text without names and contract ids?

Describe your situation in your own words, without naming names.

fixed price contract was suspended after client funded whole payment to escrow. Client was unresponsive after suspension, but I thought I'm protected with Upwork fixed price contract payment protection. I've done my work and submit request for milestone with project files. When the client resolve his issue he will receive project files. In few days contract was just cancelled, without any discussion.
Funds disappeared from in review tab.
So, i've done my work for free..

support says that  examined the account and can confirm that we've taken action as defined in our Terms of Service.

so, where is the protection? 

my work done and should be paid.. all funds for project was in escrow.

Roman K wrote:

fixed price contract was suspended after client funded whole payment to escrow. Client was unresponsive after suspension, but I thought I'm protected with Upwork fixed price contract payment protection.

Was the client's payment method verified?

Once a contract is suspended, you have no protection, so doing the work after the contract has been suspended was unwise. The notification that the contract is on hold tells you to hold off working on it.

yes, i've checked before submit proposal, payment method was verified.

also i can't find that i'm not protected if all funds in escrow.

i've seen this picture 

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

But once the contract was placed on hold you were sent an email telling you to stop working on the contract.
What did you take that to mean?

When a contract is on hold, that essentially means you no longer have an active contract.

The money may have been in Escrow, but was likely stolen so could never go to you.

tlbp
Community Member

Suspended means stop working. Don't do any work or give the client any completed work until the issues are resolved. 

Roman, you are correct: you did this work for free. I am sorry this happened.

On the plus side, all of the work belongs to you. You may put it into your portfolio or do whatever you want with it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members