🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelance Course - Would you be interested?
Page options
virtualbrix
Community Member

Freelance Course - Would you be interested?

Hey Everyone,

I have been thinking about building a course, basically, I have helped 100+ people on here so far and my goal is 1,000 in 2023 but I have realized that a lot of the questions are the same and the theme follows a similiar direction:

1. Choosing Niche

2. Profile

3. Market Research (search upwork, keywords, etc)

4. Proposal

5. Client Communication

6. etc

I know their are a LOT of courses out there now and Upwork has a lot of material. What do you all think?

130 REPLIES 130

If anything, it will help Upwork, you and countless others by not losing clients to Fiverr and other platforms due to things other than skills.

That depends on the category of work. The project catalog marketplaces, like Fiverr, are terrible for engineers and developers. When I looked today, I only saw two or three sellers of engineering CAD with a strong project sales history and prices higher than $100. Pre-set fixed prices are almost impossible to use effectively in my field.

The other platform is really good for "Micro Jobs". That is what I can see from my minimal research there.

I'm not going to contact support about why you don't have the badges after taking the courses. 

It is advisable to take all information directly from upwork. The free courses, help section, coaching sessions, etc. 

It is not a good idea to take information from people that don't have the full knowledge about upwork, but are trying to sell something on the forum, which is not allowed and against forum rules. 

I agree, no one should sell anything on the forums, its more to get feedback on the materials out there and is it enough, does it create a barrier to enable newbies to make the proper decisions, should Upwork have an entry exam, etc.

Not I need to explain it to you, I actually did it two times in April. One time was for information and second time to get rising talent badge which I didn't get.

First, my main point was that if you actually took those courses, you would know why it is necessary to have proper courses.

Second, most of angry clients issues are not related to skills or talent of freelancers, its related to bad communication, mismanagement and ignorance to rules.

Third, as I asked earlier, whats the harm to you and many others who are opposing and criticizing for no apparent reason?

Fourth, didn't you and other nay sayers read that Samer was doing it for free?

Fifth, you are right people shouldn't take informtion from sketchy sources but, perhaps, you didn't take an interest before starting the opposition that he is among the top here and also was doing coaching on official Upwork webinar.

Have a good day and a good year!

Nah, I would give it for free, I said, if I would ever charge, It would be donated to charity, I think we all agreed that Upwork has enough courses / webinars / forum threads so lets all move forward. Have a wonderful new year!

Nabeel A wrote:

Yes.

I asked because if you had taken those courses, you wouldn't have been doing opposition just for sake of doing opposition here.

Wow, I'll have to contact CS too, because I don't see them either.

Rhetorical question, what if you get some bad/confused advice from an external coach? How are you going to complain saying: this is in the help, or the TOS?

It is not to be contrary for the sake of it. There are people here who have spent many hours helping other freelancers, for free and without using their help to self-promote.

That there are things that perhaps should be explained more clearly, or in simpler language, agree.

But we are seeing profiles that are nothing and with which no effort has been made to learn. Normally we will direct them to the sites where you can find information or, if there is a moderately created profile, they will be given advice on the spot if possible.

We are not here for giving incomplete answers or a simple I'll contact to you, or check out my video, which I have to say has some pretty questionable advice.

So, respect people like Martina, who has been here for a long time, she knows how the platform works and helps out where she can.

I think we can all agree, that it is best to help further the comminity here in the forums, the blogs, webinars and so forth.

I think for now, its best to learn from the material on Upwork!

wardahzeeshan
Community Member

Interested 

8f72c9d2
Community Member

Yes I'm facing difficulty in client communication and proposal and the whole process. Please help and guide us. 

Upwork has many useful courses that will answer all your questions.

After you read the Terms of Service and this from Wes 

then go here.  Then here. 

Once you complete all of that, these are freelancers who will help you fine tune your profile. However, you must do the course and reading and have the basics. When you ask for help, you need to seek out the information from Upwork. It is already set up with all the information you need.

Nice Template!

214816e7
Community Member

Being a new freelancer, my problem is how to choose a niche. I am absolutely clueless. It will be wonderful if the niche chosing is addressed comprehensively.

What do you mean? Your niche is what you can do best. It should not be too difficult to determine that based on your education and experience?

aeed2c84
Community Member

HI,

This is Ziya A, recently join the Upwork. and Still waiting for my first job on Upwork. I am working as an excel expert. Any expert here?, Please review my profile and give the feedback. So that i could improve myselgf

Once you complete all of that, these are freelancers who will help you fine tune your profile. However, you must do the course and reading and have the basics. When you ask for help, you need to seek out the information from Upwork. It is already set up with all the information you need.

aliismail1
Community Member

Hi Sir! 

I need help regarding all the topics specially client communication.

thanks 

I think I'm going to make me a nice boilerplate like yours. Will certainly save time.

Yeah, I got tired of repeating myself.

I just threw that together, I should probably make a better one.

Community Member

Samer, have you considered doing webinars or joining Upwork's coaching team? I think that could be more effective for getting information to those who care enough to act on self-improvement goals.

I believe he has done one of that already

I have added you

I just completed a webinar a couple weeks ago with Will. I will look in to the coaching program.

7839a906
Community Member

Thanks Samer for this great opportunity! That might be really helpful specially for me & new workers here on the platform

Hey Maysaa,

I appreciate it. I will have a look at your profile and I will get back to you.

Did you check out any of the free help that's already available on Upwork - courses, coaching, webinars etc.? (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Academy/ct-p/Academy) If not, why not?

40c7f8fe
Community Member

I want to learn 

I added you

virtualbrix
Community Member

Thank You - I appreciate the feedback from everyone, some things to clarify:

1. The goal, if I ever did this, is to NOT make money from this.

2. The goal is to help freelancers, help them build a career on the platform, may be 1-to-1

3. For a course for clients, I am sure there is a market for this. there is a market for anything.

4. I do think a 1-to-1 type course / consulting may work, of course, for those who are serious.

5. It may be a good idea to may be offer a course to those who already did X, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

6. This is a topic I brought up because I did see a couple high profile upwork freelancers launched a course. I did have a look at this and felt they were good but had a lot of generic information. The big questions are, who would a course benifit, would it be someone who is already established? Would it be a course or more 1-to-1. etc.

I also talked to many who are outside the west (usa, canada, europe, etc) and they have a LOT of talent but I feel a lot of it comes from desperation, that is the main issue here. they take on jobs they may not be capable of doing and may not read all of the rules. I also understand that some people live in parts of the world where they have to make ends meet, they have to make money to simply eat. This does not mean that people from these countries have bad intentions, unfortunetly, at times, the situation can create some bad actors.

I hope that helps.

-Sam

This is a topic I brought up because I did see a couple high profile upwork freelancers launched a course.

Did they also try to sell it on the forum? This is against forum rules, so you need to stop.

It does not matter if you give the earnings to charity, it matters that they are not free.

There are two types of freelancers, IMO:

1. Professional people who need very little help creating a profile and getting work, who do their homework and educate themselves without needing someone to spoon-feed them. 

2. People with no or little marketable skills, who never even take the free upwork courses, don't read how the platform works, and never will any jobs. They don't have money for a course, they don't even have money for connects. 

So your customer base is not very wide. 

You are obviously free to create a project on your profile and offer coaching, but you need to stop using the platform as your marketing tool. Thanks. 

virtualbrix
Community Member

I will do my best to help everyone this coming year

shahbazz_ahmad
Community Member

Yes untreated 

740bb309
Community Member

Yes i want to learn this course and became a successful freelancer 

Fahad D wrote:

Yes i want to learn this course and became a successful freelancer 

As I/we have said repeatedly (many times), you have a lot of information on Upwork:
Academy (right here in the header), the help, New to Upwork (also in the header), the forum in general, the TOS (read carefully to know what and what you cannot do), the posts about scams, etc. .

Regarding your profile, change the photo for one of you. Drawings logos and others are not valid.
The title is a mix of things that don't let you know what exactly you do.
The presentation talks about something that is not even in the title.
You say you are a designer, but there is no portfolio.
You have 3 profiles created, but you say the same thing in all of them, and you don't really say anything.
So, do your homework and learn how to make a profile, then you can submit it for review in the New to Upwork thread created for it, but after you've created an actual profile.

And, once you are well informed about how this works, if you have any questions, you can search the forum (there are thousands of answers to things that are asked over and over again) or ask directly if you can't find an answer.

Did you check out any of the free help that's already available on Upwork - courses, coaching, webinars etc.? (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Academy/ct-p/Academy) If not, why not?

39280d9e
Community Member

Interested 

m_terrazas
Community Member

I'm imagining who the "a couple high profile upwork freelancers" are. Ayyy!
This topic is changing at times, from I want to help to concise and repeated answers without much sense. From this to talk on Upwork from there to coach 1-1, to a free course and now paying to be taken seriously.
I don't know why I was smelling it from the beginning.
If you really want to help here on the forum, you have to indicate the places where you can find all the information that already exists, take the time to open the freelancer's profile and give them an answer, as many of us have been doing for free (some of us do the that we can).

I didn't like this whole topic from the beginning, not only this one, but another one that is swarming around there.
And as Martina said, stop advertising yourself. This is not the site.

1699eecc
Community Member

I want to learn please enroll me

my email

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members