🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelance Engineers & Licensed Professional E...
Page options
blaeiouk
Community Member

Freelance Engineers & Licensed Professional Engineers

It is important to note that in every state in the US, anyone offering engineering services to the public (i.e. freelancers) must be properly licensed in the state in which they are delivering such services (i.e. their clients' state).  Each state's laws are a little different but they are all established to guard the public against fraudulent or unqualified engineering.  These laws apply to all engineering services offered to the public -- not just those services related to public works or to clients requiring stamped drawings, plans or reports.  That is, even engineers offering freelance product design services must be licensed, by law.

I'm most familiar with my own state, Texas.  I have been licensed here myself for almost 20 years and have had numerous conversations (written and verbal) with this State's licensing board (engineers.texas.gov) regarding this subject over the years.

If you are a prospective client seeking a freelance engineer, it is in your interest to hire licensed engineers, even if such is not required of you by law.  At the very least, you should require any freelancer to carry some level of professional liability insurance to help protect you from their errors and omissions.

If you are a freelancing engineer, please consult your state's licensing board (and those of your clients) to determine your legal requirements and get licensed.  It is required of you to be licensed.

See also:

nspe.org

ncees.org

engineers.texas.gov

tspe.org

2 REPLIES 2
versailles
Community Member

Bryan M wrote:

It is required of you to be licensed.

I'm sure it is not in many places.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
oodannyboyoo
Community Member

Hello Bryan,

With regards to product design services, I think it depends on your state. Texas seems to be very thorough, even including electronics, chemical, geotechnical, etc... which are not seen here in Florida's statue addressing the same topic. In fact, in FL Statue Ch 471.005(7) foregoing most of what your Texas law covers it states"..insofar as they involve safeguarding life, health, or property". From what I know talking with an engineer collegue regarding this, its to the degree that  life, health, and property are at risk, think buildings, bridges, critical components to heavy machinery, high pressure, high heat, chemical, forklifts, cranes, etc... I am actually in the process of clarifying this with my local/legal authorities in FL, but from what I read this looks to be true. 

Food for thought:

-What if you're a client with a non-public project, like some examples above, that wants to make a new invention for personal use or a more elctronics product for kickstarter presentation(public) and use someone outside the US to do so? Is that person breaking the law(US client)?

-What about manufacturers that are asked to tweek a part design to fit or work a certain way? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths