🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Freelancer Dispute
Page options
clarka
Community Member

Freelancer Dispute

I have an issue with a freelancer and have wasted more than half an hour trying to find a way of lodging a dispute on upworks and still can't find a way of doing so.

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Andy C wrote:

I have an issue with a freelancer and have wasted more than half an hour trying to find a way of lodging a dispute on upworks and still can't find a way of doing so.

Hourly contract or fixed rate? 

Brief timeline of what happened and when it happened?

JoanneP

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry to hear that. Could you please confirm the contract ID you're referring to so I can check? Also, you may want to check this post for more information about disputes. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
clarka
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

I posted a job with a clear brief and detailed instructions.  After exchanging a few messages with an interested freelancer**Edited for community guidelines**I decided to offer him the job at his bid price of $50.  He then tried to tell me he could do the job for $350 and that it was standard practice in upworks to negotiate the price after an invitation is issued.  This behaviour is extremely annoying for a client. 

When we send an invite to do the job we make a payment, as I am not in the USA, that means there are bank fees and currency exchange fees etc on top of any upworks fees. So even if I decline his offer it costs me money on top of the time wasted considering him for the job, offering him the job, trying to find out how to lodge a complaint and then trying to work out how to withdraw the offer and get the money back

I have been using upworks for over 8 years (o desk originally) and due to issues like this with freelancers I have stopped recommending upworks.  I am getting to the point where I am going to look for an alternative as there same to be too many freelancers creating a bad experience and I have figured out why now, there is no proper avenue for clients to complain about their behaviour.

For your reference the job was posted recently under the title Art Work Graphics.

Speaking generally, and not about the original poster's situation:

If you don't want to work with a freelancer, just stop working with him. There are literally no restrictions on your ability to fire a freelancer whenever you want to.

Concerns about money being tied up in fixed-price milestone escrow payments can be avoided by using hourly contracts.

Clients are better off pretending that disputes don't exist. Disputes are meant for freelancers more than for clients.

Thinking about disputes or planning to use disputes usually ends up doing clients more harm than good. For clients, it is better to manage contracts proactively and quickly fire a freelancer who disappoints, rather than continue to pay him money and then trying to get money back.

petra_r
Community Member

Andy C wrote:

I decided to offer him the job at his bid price of $50.  He then tried to tell me he could do the job for $350 and that it was standard practice in upworks to negotiate the price after an invitation is issued.  This behaviour is extremely annoying for a client. 

You never actually hired the freelancer. There is nothing to dispute.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sharing more information. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. We encourage freelancers to communicate with the client about the job details including the price before accepting any offer. This is to make sure that before they start working on the contract, they are certain that they are available, are the right freelancer for the job, and that of course, both of you have agreed on a fair price. You and the freelancer are welcome to communicate about the job using Upwork messaging. If in case you don't think the freelancer is the right person for the job, then you may decline their proposal. If the contract has started, but you feel that the freelancer is not delivering the job you requested, you may let the freelancer know that you will be ending the contract. Ending the contract will prompt a request for a refund.  In the future, I'd recommend that you discuss the job details and the price first before sending an offer to the freelancer.

~ Joanne
Upwork
clarka
Community Member

This is a poor response

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths