🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancer Fees
Page options
freelanceduo

Freelancer Fees

Hello everyone, I just signed up as a frelancer, but I would like to someone explain to me the steps of a project from start to finish on here. I currently use Freelance and this seems to be quite a bit different. One of my main questions is in regards to the freelancer sliding fees. When I bid on a project and am awarded it do I pay that fee upfront or does it come out of the money I am to be paid for the project? What is the fee amount? Also are there any things I need to look out for or do to be assured to not be stiffed after completing a project? Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brittany, 

Welcome to Upwork!

The Freelancer Service Fees are deducted only when you have received your earnings on your Upwork account. Please know that you will not be charged to browse, and apply to jobs. You will only be charged once a contract is in place, and your earnings show in your Available tab of your Reports page (Overview > Reports). 

Here's a help article that explains the service fees in detail.

Being that you are new, I would like to invite you to read up on the freelancer resources our team has compiled. Pay attention to the Safety First! section, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs

Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

Ok so the fees come out of the clients payment then? Thank you for all the useful information! I look forward to reading it.

Hi Brittany, 

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The fees come out of your earnings from a project. The client pays for a different set of fees that is debited to his account. Freelancer services are debited from your total earnings per project. 

~ Avery
Upwork