cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Profile

ill2def
Lamar H Member Since: Sep 12, 2017
1 of 11

I got an email from Upwork today telling me my profile was flagged for policy violation. The reason was for having direct contact information on my profile?

The only thing that I have on my profile is a link to my portfolio website? That counts as direct contact information?

In the email, Upwork also gave me a link to their policies-"User Agreements" specifically but I did not see anything that said I cannot have a link to my portfolio or any website for that matter. I just saw where it says there may be 3rd party site links on their site.

Does having a link to my portfolio count as direct contact information? Why was my account flagged now I've been using Upwork for months going on a year and have always had a link to my portfolio. It is not a social media site but an actual website that displays my most recent work.

(Attached is the email)

Thank you

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Yes. Having a site that has contact info on it linked to your Profile is a violation.

And since, ALL sites pretty much have contact info, the robot is going to assume (and probably rightly so, that the link on your Profile is a violation). Even, by some random chance, NOBODY on gawds green earth can contact you via your own professional site.

Better to build your portfolio on Upwork and save yourself the grief of dealing with that side of Upwork.

View solution in original post

ill2def
Lamar H Member Since: Sep 12, 2017
3 of 11

Ok thank you for your helpful response! Smiley Wink

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 11

@Lamar H wrote:

Ok thank you for your helpful response! Smiley Wink

Your quite welcome.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
5 of 11

@Lamar H wrote:

I got an email from Upwork today telling me my profile was flagged for policy violation. The reason was for having direct contact information on my profile?

The only thing that I have on my profile is a link to my portfolio website? That counts as direct contact information?

In the email, Upwork also gave me a link to their policies-"User Agreements" specifically but I did not see anything that said I cannot have a link to my portfolio or any website for that matter. I just saw where it says there may be 3rd party site links on their site.

Does having a link to my portfolio count as direct contact information? Why was my account flagged now I've been using Upwork for months going on a year and have always had a link to my portfolio. It is not a social media site but an actual website that displays my most recent work.

(Attached is the email)

Thank you

Just to clarify - you can supply the link to your portfolio to clients in your proposals and interviews. You just can't have it on your profile. The reason is to prevent clients from hiring freelancers off the platform, where Upwork can't collect their fees. 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 11

Lamar, I should mind my own beeswax but looks like you do quality work, judging from your profile, and you might be somewhat undercharging. But I'm no graphic artist so it could be you can whip out stuff in minutes, in which case I apologize. And I hope that 1 star feedback you got won't bite you, because it looks like you encountered an unethical client.

Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 11

**Edited for Community Guidelines**  is on my blacklist.

yitwail
Community Guru
8 of 11

@Jennifer M wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines** is on my blacklist.

Jennifer, wonder how long it will take mods to *edit for community guidelines* your remark. Cat LOL

Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
9 of 11

@John K wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

Jennifer, wonder how long it will take mods to *edit for community guidelines* your remark. Cat LOL

37 minutes : D

yitwail
Community Guru
10 of 11

@Baris A wrote:

@John K wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

37 minutes : D

Not too shabby, but methinks they should shoot for 30 minutes or less. *

Spoiler
* 30 minutes was maximum guaranteed time for a Cosa Nostra pizza delivery, in Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.