cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer Search Feature

Community Guru
Heaven H Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
1 of 6

Is the order of freelancers in search results random? I searched for my job title and couldn't find myself after scrolling through page after page, yet people who do not have my job title showed up in the results.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 6

Good grief, I haven't looked at this recently since I don't hire freelancers myself, and because there are countless freelancers in my category so looking for my profile in the results is a time waster, BUT, how long have they displayed results in this almost large print format? With all the scrolling you'd have to do on a notebook or tablet, it could easily discourage clients from looking at more than a handful of pages.

And to answer your question, the selection that's returned when searching for your title, science editor, is inscrutable. You are aware that when different users submit the same search, they do not necessarily get the same result? For instance, a client may get a different result from a freelancer, and this is not random but determined by some undocumented algorithm.

3 of 6

And to answer your question, the selection that's returned when searching for your title, science editor, is inscrutable. You are aware that when different users submit the same search, they do not necessarily get the same result? For instance, a client may get a different result from a freelancer, and this is not random but determined by some undocumented algorithm.

By the way, a few days ago I got the same sh***y results both before and after logging in... I wasn't able to find myself, no matter what I tried to search! How can a client find us, if we are not able to find ourselves???

Then I asked a moderator here and magically my profile reappeared... I don't really think it's just a matter of algorithms...

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Andrea,

I agree that Valeria can often work some magic, but in this case she only used a client account and your details to locate you profile in search, which she documented with a screenshot and shared with you on another thread.

Search results vary from person to person, so the way you see yourself in search results may be very different than how different clients see you.

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
5 of 6

Search results vary from person to person, so the way you see yourself in search results may be very different than how different clients see you.

Hi Vladimir, 

thanks for your note, but "the way you see yourself in search results may be very different" is fine. What I was complaining about is that I wasn't able to find my profile at all.

In short, here is what I tried before asking Valeria's intervention (I really keep it short, but I made more unsuccessful attempts with various criteria):

- if I tried with 'andrea english-italian translator' or 'english-italian translator andrea' (= name + description you can find on my profile) = not a single result in 9 pages;

- if I tried english-italian translator' in the search field + some filters that match my profile (90% JS and up, rate among $10/$30, top 10% in the Italian Grammar test, at least 100 hours billed)... still nothing!!!!!!

Maybe it was just a temporary issue (it's not so uncommon, right?), but when Valeria replied I was able to find my profile, with the very same search. Don't you really think there is some magic in this? Smiley LOL

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 6

@Andrea B wrote:

. Don't you really think there is some magic in this? Smiley LOL

I let you in on a secret:

Valeria's profile pic is only her mortal one, This is the REAL Valeria:

The real Valeria K.jpg

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS