🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancer account as client team member for ...
Page options
btsaconsulting
Community Member

Freelancer account as client team member for a non-Upwork client

Confusing subject line but this is the case - I am on Upwork as a freelancer. I have had a client from another platform Guru for 3 years and we work on and off through Guru on a project basis. 

The client has recently posted new jobs on Upwork and wants to add me to the client team for hiring. They have sent me an invite to the company email id they have set-up for me. I have been their sole freelancer till date and they are using Upwork for the first time. 

I have a few questions on how best to proceed -

1. How should I change my profile to a client account. There is an option in Settings - Contact Info but this is to set up as a client, not a client team member.

2. I know it is against Upwork ToS to use two separate ids for the same person. Should I ask the client to use my Upwork id to send the invite? Would this make me a freelancer and not a client representative? 

3. I do not have a contractual relationship with the client on Upwork and I would be representing them as a client, not freelancer. Would this go against Upwork ToS?  

What would be the best course of action that also complies with the ToS? Thanks for any clarification. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

1) You don't. Once the client adds you to their team, you gain (limited) access to their account and will operate from there. You will see the profile in a drop-down at login and can switch from your freelancer profile to your team's profile at any time.

2) The client should send the invite to the email address that is associated with your Upwork account or your user ID.

3) That is perfectly fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

1) You don't. Once the client adds you to their team, you gain (limited) access to their account and will operate from there. You will see the profile in a drop-down at login and can switch from your freelancer profile to your team's profile at any time.

2) The client should send the invite to the email address that is associated with your Upwork account or your user ID.

3) That is perfectly fine.

PradeepH

Hi Maya,

Thank you for your message. I understand your point. I would like to clarify that if the invite to join the client's team is sent to a different email address, you can sign up for a new Client only account to join the client's team. You will need to ensure you do not register for a freelancer account on that account or initiate an offer or contract to your freelancer account. This is considered a serious violation of our TOS and may lead to account interruption. You can continue to use your Upwork freelancer account to apply for jobs on the platform and use your client's account to hire other Upwork freelancers.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
btsaconsulting
Community Member

Thank you,  Petra and Pradeep. I have asked the client to re-send me the invite to the email id I use for Upwork. Will post here once I am in. 

I got the revised invite with my Upwork id and can access the job posts directly. It is a seamless experience. Thanks again.  

uppiesman
Community Member

I seem to be facing a similar problem. My client added me to her team for a project. So, I can't apply for the company's jobs anymore. The only options that come up are those that should only be visible to the client. 

Can I be a part of client's team as a fellow client for the company and still keep working for them as a freelancer as well? Or should I request they remove me as a client team member?

Hi Damilola,

Could you please share a screenshot of what you're seeing on your end so we could check?

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths