Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer - approve milestone of fixed price project

lekchunhou
Chun Hou L Member Since: Oct 11, 2015
1 of 11

Hello,

I wonder if it's possible to approve a milestone before it becomes active?

Thank you 🙂

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11
I could be wrong, but I remember reading some posts that this may be a feature in the future. However, although I understand there are outliers, you should really discuss every detail of a job before accepting the position.

View solution in original post

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
3 of 11

Maria is right. The mods said it was something they were considering, but it's not yet in place. I've had the experience of a client adding a milestone that we never discussed, so I would appreciate the opportunity to approve them before proceeding. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 11

The dirty little secret is this:

As a contractor, I don't benefit one bit from a second milestone.

I'm better off with a series of single-milestone contracts that are set up to accomplish the same outcomes as multiple milestones within a single fixed-price contract.

If each task is done as a separate contract, than I accumulate additional jobs in my job count, and I limit the damage a client can do if things take a turn for the worse. Because feedback has already been given and contracts have already been closed for all past work.

I can't think of a single way in which additional milestones provide me with any benefit compared to additional contracts for the same task/same amount of money.

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
5 of 11

Hi Preston,

I generally agree on keeping contracts neat & clean or done & dusted. However, it doesn't always work that way. Examples:

A) Transcription client tells me in the beginning that there are going to be 5 interviews in the course of 3 weeks. Of course I won't ask the client to open&close a new contract for each transcript, they surely wouldn't like the hassle. Moreover, while I found getting multiple feedbacks quite helpful in the past, I now prefer to have one contract showing a $ amount of let's say $450 instead of 5 scattered projects of $90 each and therefore consider adding milestones to be beneficial.

B) I'm currently on a contract with a client who adds stuff on an almost daily basis with mixed deadlines. It would be nuts to have a bunch of different contracts. Yet creating a bunch of milestones is similarly complicated (due to the fact that milestones need to be submitted in the original order). This is a good client, so I am actually just adding several things to the tab and then let them know to create a single milestone for A, C and F (whatever I am currently working on and will be ready to submit next).

And again, even though I am quite aware of several risks here, I find it more beneficial for my job history to show one larger $ amount in the end and a hopefully positive feedback along the lines of "S. supported us consistently over the course of a larger project".

Having said that, I am looking forward to the announced changes on the milestone setup and handling. I get that Upwork prefers hourly (so do I, most of the time), but I think a smarter and more flexible setup could benefit all parties involved.

lekchunhou
6 of 11

Second that Sandra 🙂

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 11

Preston, the big advantage I see is that the client doesn't get annoyed with the many extra steps involved with closing a contract, leaving feedback, opening a new contract over over again in the course of a single project.

For example, if I'm writing a full website of 25 pages or so for a new client, it doesn't make sense for either of us to set that up as a single milestone. I like to start with a small  milestone of 3-5 pages and get feedback from the client before continuing.

Then, if it's a client I haven't worked with extensively, I'm still not going to go ahead and do the remaining 20-22 pages without additional payment. So, that's usually a 3-4 milestone job (with clients I've worked with for a while, it would probably be 2)

I'm pretty sure that if I asked a new client, especially one new to Upwork, to open and close 3-4 separate contracts to get his website written, he'd leave Upwork and go look for a contractor in the real world where there weren't so many unnecessary hurdles.

lekchunhou
8 of 11
The client will be your long term client and increases your job success rate
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
9 of 11

Chun Hou, I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that multiple jobs for the same client count toward your long-term client %. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 11

re: "The client will be your long term client and increases your job success rate"

The same benefit to your Job Success Rate is received whether a client hires using a single contract with multiple milestones, or multiple single-milestone contracts.

"Long Term Client" status is not based on the length of a contract, but the length of a relationship during whch a client has paid money to a contractor.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS